• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

AppleTV now offered with 160gb hard drive BTO option

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Press Release (see 5th paragraph)

Apple today also announced that it is offering a new Apple TV build-to-order option with a 160GB hard drive. The new larger hard drive offers four times the storage for up to 200 hours of video, 36,000 songs, 25,000 photos or a combination of each.* Apple TV is easy to connect to a broad range of widescreen TVs and home theater systems and comes standard with HDMI, component video, analog and optical audio ports. Using high-speed AirPort® 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking, Apple TV can auto-sync content from one computer or stream content from up to five additional computers right to a TV without any wires.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Now I might consider buying one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
I picked up a normal AppleTV a few weeks back. I love the thing, frees me up from having hook up my ipod to the TV to watch fullscreen movies.

I really don't see the hard drive upgrade being either needed or very useful though, unless they are going to significantly increase the quality on some of the videos. It works perfectly find using just streaming mode over 802.11g.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
I picked up a normal AppleTV a few weeks back. I love the thing, frees me up from having hook up my ipod to the TV to watch fullscreen movies.

I really don't see the hard drive upgrade being either needed or very useful though, unless they are going to significantly increase the quality on some of the videos. It works perfectly find using just streaming mode over 802.11g.

HD content forshadowing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD
Cool so for an extra $100 we get 120GB bigger HDD?

If they did that same offer in the UK I would buy one. At 160GB for around £250 I think I would buy it.

Any idea or indication of when it's out in the UK?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
HD content forshadowing?

In his presentation yesterday, Jobs said they hadn't ruled out HD in the future. The main problem right now is file size - it takes too long to download real HD content on current high-speed Internet connections. Also from what I understand, it only outputs a 720p signal and also a somewhat weak 1ghz processor, so I don't think we'd be seeing 1080p anyway. In other news, Xbox Media Center is being ported to Linux:

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/

I'm sure we'll be seeing HD support and probably Blu-ray and HD-DVD disc support from this project upon completion. A PC isn't quite as elegant as an AppleTV though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
so will the principal still be the same with apple tv - the content on the apple tv device mirrors whats on your computer that its reading it from - i.e. You cannot store your media content locally to apple tv?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.