AppleTV for Handicapped

Reaction score
My 86 year old dad had a stroke 3 years ago leaving him without use of his right side and poor dexterity in his left hand, he is also restricted to a wheelchair. His only outlet for pleasure is watching TV. I am personally fed up with the hassle and cost of cable and satellite and would like to turn my dad and myself on to some quality ATV time. Having experienced my daughters ATV I realize my dad may have issues maneuvering the menu bar and making viewing choices without stress since he is only familiar with conventional remotes and their simple functions. Is there an app for the handicap?

Thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There are no special apps for the Apple TV. There is a remote app for an iPhone/iPad to control it, if that's what you mean. There are accessibility options on the ATV you can explore to see if they help. You can also use a conventional, programmable remote with the Apple TV. I've been using Logitech Harmony remotes for years. My father-in-law is literally the most computer and device-illiterate person on the face of the planet, and he gets around on an ATV no problem with one of these. Just don't get Logitech's newer touch remotes. The Harmony 650 is a great choice with good build quality and fits very well in the hand. At least for people who aren't impaired. The two of you can better judge his level of comfort with it. The Harmony 350 would be another good choice, though I think the 650 may be built a bit better.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Is there one particular aspect of the interface that you feel will give your father difficulty? As far as I can tell, VoiceOver is the only accessibility feature built in with the ATV (I don't own one so I may be wrong here) so if his sight isn't a primary concern, you might either have to get creative or look for a different product.

OP
M
Reaction score
Wow! The traditional remote sounds like a great idea! Much larger should be easier for his hand to work. Thanx!

Voice won't help, he lost his ability to speak also from the stroke but thanx.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.