Apple’s MagSafe Battery Pack is available in-store now for $99

Reaction score
  • MagSafe-Battery-Pack-side-980x980.jpg

The front of the MagSafe Battery Pack. [credit: Apple ]

Apples new MagSafe Battery Pack for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro is now available for in-store pickup, and the first online orders have arrived at buyers' doorsteps.

If you're in the market to buy the battery pack, you can either buy one online and see it shipped to you in the coming days or weeks (depending on where you live) or go to your local Apple Store and purchase one. Availability will, of course, depend on location, as will COVID-19 safety procedures at a given Apple Store.

Apple's website offers multiple ways to find out if your nearest retail location has the battery pack in stock. For example, if you're in the US, the online store page for the product attempts to automatically detect your ZIP code, or you can enter your ZIP code manually. The product page will then say whether the battery pack is available at the closest location.

Read 4 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Click here to view the article...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I purchased my 12 Mini so that I could easily carry it with me. Adding a Mag Safe battery pack more than doubles the thickness of an iPhone 12 and makes it heavier. Besides all that, you will need to remove your case in order to attach it.

Unless there is a high demand for this item, it may become an Apple "White Elephant". :p

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have to agree, Charlie.

When this was announced, I thought I might buy one, but I thought about the weight and thickness issues. Besides, I don't often run my phone down enough during the day to justify this. When my phone does run down, I can make a call from my watch if necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I purchased my 12 Mini so that I could easily carry it with me. Adding a Mag Safe battery pack more than doubles the thickness of an iPhone 12 and makes it heavier. Besides all that, you will need to remove your case in order to attach it.

Unless there is a high demand for this item, it may become an Apple "White Elephant". :p

Do we know it won't work with at least some cases? I'm still on a XR and not upgrading any time soon, but I use a very slim case that works fine with a Qi charger. No magnets of course, but I would think that a MagSafe accessory would have enough gripping power to stick through the back of the non-MagSafe case I use now and charge through it as well.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do we know it won't work with at least some cases?

It does work with the Apple Leather case and may work with some other Apple made cases. But a standard off the shelf case is a no go, unless of course some case maker steps in and provides one that will work.

There's a long thread over at MacRumors concerning the new MagSafe magnetic charger. Most of the comments in that thread are negative.

Amazon has several magnetic cases for sale including a more powerful one from Anker. The Apple MagSafe in my opinion is overpriced at $99, but I suppose that's what we can expect from Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.