AppleID and MacBook Login Info

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently switched from Windows 8 to Mac OS X. I'm liking the computer as far as coding/stats/engineering work goes, majorly due to the multiple desktops. Huge boon. Anyway, I've been wondering about the AppleID I entered when I first set up the MacBook. I had an AppleID from before, since I've had an iPhone for a while. What exactly does giving the AppleID upon setup of my MacBook do? It seems to be separate from the Login information for the computer itself. I'm asking because I've realized I don't really want my AppleID and my laptop to be associated. Does entering the AppleID upon setup permanently associate your computer with that ID? Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

M

MacInWin

It is separate from your account login. And entering it does associate the laptop with that Apple ID. Permanent? Nothing's permanent, just some things are harder to change than others. I think you can disassociate the AppleID, but I don't know how to do it. Someone who does can chime in here. One caution: if you create a second Apple ID with which to associate the laptop, you won't be able to share (easily) anything bought on one with the other (music, for example).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do not make a second Apple ID as Jake suggests. You will end up in a real mess updating software, App Store downloads etc. The Apple ID is required for the software and security updates and with no or an inactive ID you will not be ble to download them to your computer.

Think the best resolution is to change the current Apple ID. Here is a link on how to do this:-

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My apologies Jake.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It seems like I can change my AppleID using the method above.

Anyway, I'm not sure this is the concern I thought it was. My main concern was privacy -- given that the AppleID is linked to near everything I do online, can Apple track my browsing behavior and online presence with my AppleID? I noticed that my bookmarks had been migrated from my iPhone when I started the computer up.

I might start a new thread about this, actually, after I make sure no one has started one before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whatever you do do not use Google, Apple, Yahoo, Microsoft, AT&T, Dell, Sony, Hitachi, You Tube, Facebook or the 'net and you will be quite safe.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I noticed that my bookmarks had been migrated from my iPhone when I started the computer up.

I might start a new thread about this, actually, after I make sure no one has started one before.

Do you have the iPhone and Mac set to sync bookmarks? If so, you can turn that off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.