Apple Works Vs Pages?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I currently have apple works. And I use it for it's spreadsheet and word processing features. And I quite like it. The only thing I don't like with it is the mighty Mouse's scroll doesn't work in it. But that's only a minor issue. Over all I like it heaps.

And my question is. I've read everything pages has to offer. But what does everyone think. Is it worth the money to buy pages. Or should I simply stuck using Appleworks?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Well Pages (actually iWork) doesn't yet have a spreadsheet. It does have built-in tables with some simple formulas, but it's nothing compared to what you're using now.

iWork '07 is expected to have a spreadsheet application built-in, so I'd hold off until then if I were you. Other than that, I've switched over to Pages from Word for all of my personal word processing (I still use Word at the office at least half the time, partially because it's the only thing I can find that supports mail-merge to email). Pages is so much easier to use for layouts because of its de-cluttered interface. It has a few quirks (like setting borders on tables is not straightforward and requires several visits to multiple tabs in the inspector), but otherwise I really like it.

If you want an updated alternative to AppleWorks, you should look into OpenOffice or NeoOffice. Both are free Office replacements (NeoOffice is simply a MacOS port of the X11-based OpenOffice) and contain word processing, spreadsheet, database and drawing applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I currently have apple works. And I use it for it's spreadsheet and word processing features. And I quite like it. The only thing I don't like with it is the mighty Mouse's scroll doesn't work in it. But that's only a minor issue.
Do you have the 6.2.9 update installed? It was supposed to fix that....
http://www.apple.com/appleworks/update/

I'm still disappointed with the way Apple is letting AppleWorks die. Keynote and pages are great, but they don't do what AppleWorks did (even if Apple releases a spreadsheet) and nothing approaches the level of integration AppleWorks modules have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I agree technologist, I actually stopped using AppleWorks totally. Some people don't need all the features of a Office suite, but want descent consumer friendly features. AppleWorks used to be that.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Thanks heaps for all that info.

I downloaded the updater. And I tried to use it and it gives me this message.

"The updater was unable to find an installation of of the US Appleworks 6 Program to update in the specified location. Please select a different update location that contains an installation of the US AppleWorks 6 from your orig"

And I can't change the install folder for it either. But the folder it chooses seems to be right. The current version I have is 6.2.4 I got it in Australia. Would that make a difference?

Anyone know what's up with this.

[edit]I'm just trying the international english version now. Hopefully this should fix my own problem.
[edit 2]Yes that fixed the problem.

And to reply on your above comments. Thanks. I think I'll wait for the proposed iwork 07 if it ever comes out and I'll get that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.