Apple wiped my macbook

Reaction score
I have a MacBook that I bought about three years ago. A couple of weeks ago it began to have an issue where I would turn it on and try to input my password to log in and it would shutdown. I took it into the Genius Bar and they took it in, and then called me later and told me it needed to be sent to their off-site repair center because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it in-store. All they said was that it was probably something to do with the logic board. I authorized them to send it out and apparently their repair center is in Houston so I just got it back yesterday.

I took it home and turned it on and it had me set up the computer again. When I finally logged in with my Apple ID all my data was gone and it was basically like a new computer. I immediately called the Apple Store and the Genius Bar manager basically told me the data was unrecoverable (of course) and that when the computer gets sent out they will basically do anything that might fix it in order to get it running again, which apparently includes clean installing the operating system. I spoke to several technicians before it was sent out and only one asked me if I had a backup, and when I said no she didn't follow up with any questions or anything. They NEVER told me they would be doing a clean install of the OS or that there was a risk my data would be lost. I told him this and that I would never have paid to have it repaired if this were the case as I would have rather just invested in a new machine. We went back and forth and eventually he offered to refund half the repair fee.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this and if there's any way I can retrieve my data? I know it's probably gone but I figured I'd at least try and see if it's possible. Thanks to anyone who can help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

You learned a valuable lesson. ALWAYS backup your data before taking it in for repair. If you had been making frequent backups at home, you could restore your data. Time Machine is included with macOS and can be used for backups to an external drive.

As for your question about restoring your data... it's probably gone forever. Apple wiped the hard drive and then installed macOS. That makes it almost impossible to restore the data since the new install overwrote anything that was previously there.

The technician that asked if you had a backup should have advised you to make one before sending the machine off to be repaired, but even at that, it's your responsibility to do that not Apple's. At least Apple refunded half the repair fee which they didn't have to do. Generally when Apple sends a machine out to be repaired they charge a flat fee. I don't know how much you paid for repairs, but I'm sure it was less than what a new machine would cost.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well I guess hindsight is 20/20. The thing is I assumed that because I couldn't get it to even turn on I wouldn't have been able to back it up before hand. I just wish they had told me this was gonna happen. The repair total was over $500 which while obviously less than a new one is also a lot more than a refurbished one which is basically what I have now.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Hard lesson. I've had several APPLE repairs and always been asked/told to make a back up, which was irrelevant because I back up regularly to a portable hard drive. If you were refunded half the repair cost, you have presumably paid $250 which is hugely less than what you would pay for even a refurbished MB. Please get a back up drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 13" MBP, 8 Gb, 256 SSD, early 2011 13" MBP, 8 GB, 256 SSD
I am not sure which Macbook you have but refurbished Macbooks that are three old can't be found where I live for $500 USD. I might get a 2011 or mid 2012 for that price.

I'm surprised the apple store didn't get you to sign a document that says they will wipe the drive if necessary or contact you for permission before wiping.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm surprised the apple store didn't get you to sign a document that says they will wipe the drive if necessary or contact you for permission before wiping.

Based on my personal experience with the genius bar, the tech will ask if you have a backup and at the same time advise you that data may be lost for which Apple assumes no responsibility. If the hard drive can be accessed they will usually try to backup your data if possible. Keeping in mind that if they use an external hard drive off the shelf that they sell, the cost of the drive is on you.

Of course it all depends on the particular genius who handles your case. Not all of them will do the above. And as busy as Apple Stores are, I can understand why.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@adschro

Welcome to our Forums. Yours is sad tale and and reminds us of the unfailing 20/20 vision of the retroscope.

A good few if us get out our drums and bang on about backups on a regular basis.

I have even been bold enough to suggest that a person who can't afford an EHD for a backup shouldn't be let lose with a computer. To me, a backup plan is like a licence or driving test - mandatory before you touch a Mac.

Of course, it's all about risk and probability.. But when the time comes, losing everything is a blow below the belt - and it will come. Drives die, operating systems get corrupted.

And unless you are prepared, restoration means new OS running empty Mac.

So for the future:

1.Time Machine linked to a EHD for BU on an hourly basis, or near as.

2. A cloned BU at least one a week.

3. Another EHD contains: Documents, iTunes Library, Photos Library

4. Use iCloud, iDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox and the like on a regular basis

The cost piles up, but the explosion of relief you experience when you get your Mac working as before is hard to describe.

May this never happen to you again.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And not one backup, but two for me to be doubly doubly safe.

As noted author David Pogue says 'There are two types of computer users. Those who have lost everything having no backup, and those that are about too.'

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.