• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple will randomize Mac serial numbers starting this year

Reaction score
A MacBook Pro sitting on a table

Enlarge / The 2020 13-inch MacBook Pro running macOS. (credit: Samuel Axon)

According to MacRumors, Apple will completely change how the serial numbers for Macs are generated. The numbers will soon be fully randomized, meaning that users, IT managers, repair-shop technicians, and others will not be able to glean the same information from them that the current serial number system provides.

Serial numbers on Macs shipping today reflect the time and place where the Mac was assembled, as well as some configuration details like storage capacity. Moving forward, serial numbers will be fully random, with no code or consistency that can be used to learn information about the product. The new numbers will be between eight and 14 characters long.

MacRumors claims it learned of the change when it gained access to an internal AppleCare email. This change does not apply to Mac models that are shipping today, but it will go into effect for future Macs the company will introduce. That includes the rumored MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac refreshes expected later this year, as well as new Mac Pro models that appear to be planned for a later date.

Read 3 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Click here to view the article...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm glad I doubt I will ever be affected, but what possible reason would Apple have for making such a change other than screwing up how some of their users work and use such data?????

Change for the sake of change again...????

It boggles one's mind...

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think it's change for the sake of change. Under the current system, anyone familiar with the pattern for generating the serial numbers can figure out a unit's initial hardware configuration. For many users, that initial configuration is also their current configuration because they haven't had a need to make changes.

I realize that the odds of someone actively trying to get that information from most users is probably ridiculously low but as an end user why should I make it easier for them than need be?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Change for the sake of change again...????

Serial numbers on Macs shipping today reflect the time and place where the Mac was assembled, as well as some configuration details like storage capacity. Moving forward, serial numbers will be fully random, with no code or consistency that can be used to learn information about the product. The new numbers will be between eight and 14 characters long.

So... a person wants to sell their Mac, advertises it and gives all the specs. A smart buyer will ask for the serial number first. Because the buyer wants to know if the specs advertised are true and not faked. And the buyer also wants to know if the Mac has been stolen.

A random serial number that shows no designations can mislead customers and potential buyers. What's the point of Apple doing this? Maybe we're missing something?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I hadn't thought of that scenario Charlie. Surely there will be a way to verify such information.Even with the current system though the serial numbers would at best identify the date and place of manufacture, initial system configuration and perhaps whether it's stolen.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I agree with Charlie on this one. It’s just taking away a useful consumer tool. I don’t understand the reasoning behind it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.