Apple Watch Series 6 and Cycling

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
Does anyone know if you can add a power meter as a sensor to an Apple Watch Series 6?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I don't think the  Watch can have any attachments. There isn't anywhere to attache anything. There are some contacts where the band slides in, but you have to have contact with the watch for it to unlock, so you need the band to hold it in place. I've never heard of any attachments at all. What is it you are trying to accomplish?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
I'm talking about adding a Bluetooth sensor. On my Garmin watch, I can add my bike's power meter via Bluetooth so it receives data from the power meter. I was wondering if this is possibe with an Apple watch. There is no physical attachment. Just a Bluetooth link up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Watch User Guide doesn't indicate any BT devices except headphones and gym equipment. Does this power meter have an app that would install on the Watch? If it's in the "Gym equipment" range it might work, but based on what I see in the User Guide on workouts, it seems to be specific to the gym equipment: https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/use-gym-equipment-with-apple-watch-apdf855bb3c0/watchos

The whole User guide is here:

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, probably not. This power meter is being phased out as it is. So it's doubtful somebody wrote an app to use it on an Apple watch. However, I use Strava, so there might be an option there to tie in a power meter.

Cycling aside, the Apple Watch Series 6 has many compelling reasons to jump from my Garmin watches to Apple. And the Series 6 is less costly than the Garmin watches. Win-win.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So far, so good. I'm liking the AW6 better than my Garmin Fenix 5. It's done well tracking steps and a couple of outside walks, and even did a fair job with an inside bike ride on a trainer. There's a Strava app for it, so that covers outside biking as a backup to my Wahoo Element bike computer. And the screen is beautiful. So sharp and bright.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am loving mine. This is my 5th apple watch and I liked them all. I use it for tracking my laps when I swim. It does an excellent job. I also use it for tracking how long I walk too.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tracked a 23 mile outdoor bike ride today with the AW6 and also had my Wahoo Element. The AW6 data was nearly identical to the Wahoo Element, which was reading my HR from a Polar OH1 arm strap HRM. The AW6 held its own, which is impressive for a watch in this price range. The only thing that keeps me from using it as a primary tracker for riding is the inability to tie in a power meter, which is how I prefer to track calories. But it makes a great backup tracker in case the Element fails for whatever reason. I continue to be impressed with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Since I am of a certain age :giggle: I am not as hardcore with tracking all my data anymore. There was a day I did and I continue to fight myself to not get so drawn into tracking myself so closely. But there is no chance I will be doing any competing anymore - too many parts not working as well as they use to! The Apple watches have provided me with enough data to track my progress and levels enough to suit me.

I will admit to not being impressed with the blood oxygen meter. I have a pulse oximeter. I have found the watch and my oximeter do not match. Sometimes it is only a percent or two. Other times the watch will be way off. Hopefully they improve that feature.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The error range for all pulse oximeters is in the +/- 2-3% range. So you can have a 4-6% variation between the finger clamp and the iPhone, easy. I even see variations on my finger pulse oximeter of 5-6% if I just change fingers. And it's not consistent what finger is higher. So the watch is close, which is all it needs to be, really. It's similar to the EKG reading. It is an approximation and there to show gross variations, not precise measures.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My PulseOx varies widely as well, but that was not a factor in my decision to try the AW6. Most other things the AW6 does are really cool and I'm liking more every day. One thing I find is a brilliant move by Apple is to make the time digits very large when it's in Sleep mode. Many people like me wear glasses and take them off at night. With the large font showing the time at night, I don't need to find my glasses in the dark to see what time it is. Pure genius idea there, Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227
I'm talking about adding a Bluetooth sensor. On my Garmin watch, I can add my bike's power meter via Bluetooth so it receives data from the power meter. I was wondering if this is possibe with an Apple watch. There is no physical attachment. Just a Bluetooth link up.
I have a completely similar situation!

And in general, for sports, in my opinion, APPLE WATCH are not very suitable. It is better to buy a not even expensive fitness bracelet, because it is designed specifically for sports.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been impressed with the AW6 for sports. Aside from the lack of ability to use a power meter, it records the same data as my Wahoo Elemnt and is usually spot on. I use it strictly as a backup for ride data, though. If my Elemnt successfully records and uploads my ride data, I just delete the same data from my AW6. The AW6/Strava combo works very well. I also use the same combo for walking data. I was formerly using a Garmin Fenix 5 for workouts and a Vivomove HR for office use and sleep tracking, but I've shelved both of those and use the AW6 exclusively now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My take on it is that if the connectivity to your exercise equipment is the number one reason for any wearable, get the best device that does that. On the other hand, the AW is a competent device for recording workout activity and the interaction between it, the iPhone and Macs is a huge productivity enhancement. NO device will do everything for everybody. Get and use what works for you and your situation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.