Apple Watch forum?

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
With the imminent arrival of the Apple Watch, would it be useful to have a dedicated forum for it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We'll have to wait and see what the response to it will be. However, since having an Apple Watch also requires owning an iPhone, we may just group it into the same forum. Thanks for your interest.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
There is the Other Hardware and Peripherals forum that can be used for the Apple Watch and perhaps if there is a lot of discussion we can create a separate forum just for Apple Watch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
There is the Other Hardware and Peripherals forum that can be used for the Apple Watch and perhaps if there is a lot of discussion we can create a separate forum just for Apple Watch.

Considering that this forum is a Apple Forum, IMHO, the Watch deserves its own sub-forum, because as we all know, the iPod wasn't going to be a big seller, as it was the first of its kind, and I believe the same about the Watch.

Let us do it justice, by making a Sub-Forum for it.

EDIT: And should go under iPod, iPhone and iPad forum, seeing you need the iPhone for it to be of use.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Considering that this forum is a Apple Forum, IMHO, the Watch deserves its own sub-forum, because as we all know, the iPhoned wasn't going to be a big seller, as it was the first of its kind, and I believe the same about the Watch.

Let us do it justice, by making a Sub-Forum for it.

EDIT: And should go under iPhoned, iPhone and iPad forum, seeing you need the iPhone for it to be of use.

I agree. I'm skeptical that it will be a smashing hit, but it should be popular enough to warrant a sub-forum, especially since many issues and questions that may arise will be more or less unique to it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Administrator Vansmith has an announcement that for the time being at least we will discuss the Apple Watch in the "Other Hardware" forum. If it warrants a separate sub forum we will definitely discuss creating one and think about putting it under the iPhone.

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We need somewhere to bemoan the launch strategy! I'm gutted. :(

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
chscag and I made a call on this one to pull watch discussions in under the umbrella of "other hardware" for now to see what kind of response we get. If the watch becomes popular, we'll create a forum for it and merge all the current threads about the watch. Remember, the goal is to have as few forums as possible to make it easier to find and collect content so if the number of watch discussions is small enough to fit under a current forum, it'll probably stay there.

OP
D

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was a joke...

Evidently a weak one :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It was a joke...

Evidently a weak one :)

You Brits should leave the comedy to us Yankees, we are clearly better at it! :p

Reaction score
chscag and I made a call on this one to pull watch discussions in under the umbrella of "other hardware" for now to see what kind of response we get. If the watch becomes popular, we'll create a forum for it and merge all the current threads about the watch. Remember, the goal is to have as few forums as possible to make it easier to find and collect content so if the number of watch discussions is small enough to fit under a current forum, it'll probably stay there.

Lame.

The "other hardware" forum is filled with info 3rd party type stuff like bluetooth speakers and whatnot. This is NOT a 3rd party piece of hardward.

If I want to find threads on the apple watch, I now have to sift thru all of that???

I strongly second the motion to have it as a sub-forum in the iphone section.

I mean, c'mon, even the Apple TV has it's own sub forum.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
OK...

The "other hardware" forum is filled with info 3rd party type stuff like bluetooth speakers and whatnot. This is NOT a 3rd party piece of hardward.
Nowhere does the description for that forum say that it's exclusively for third party hardware. In fact, it says quite the opposite: "Other Apple systems and peripherals..."

If I want to find threads on the apple watch, I now have to sift thru all of that???
If you don't want to sift through threads, use the search box if you need to find something specific.

I mean, c'mon, even the Apple TV has it's own sub forum.
An estimated two million watches were sold. Apple has sold 25 million ATVs. I think it's easier to justify a forum for a product that has much larger use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
An estimated two million watches were sold. Apple has sold 25 million ATVs. I think it's easier to justify a forum for a product that has much larger use.

For now ;)

Reaction score
OK...

Nowhere does the description for that forum say that it's exclusively for third party hardware. In fact, it says quite the opposite: "Other Apple systems and peripherals..."

So what. The description of the forum is one thing. What it actually is, is another. Take one look in that forum and it's mostly all 3rd party stuff on the first page.

If you don't want to sift through threads, use the search box if you need to find something specific.

Then why have any sub forums? Why not just search for everything!

For now. Nevermind the fact that the AppleTV sold half as many units in it's first year of existence compared to the Apple Watch in just it's first month. And it's taken 8 years to reach 25 million in sales for the Apple TV.

Apple has sold probably 50 million USB chargers, does that product deserve it's own forum?

You're acting like creating a new sub forum is any more than a few clicks of a mouse.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're acting like creating a new sub forum is any more than a few clicks of a mouse.

And you're acting disrespectful. Tone it down.... we'll setup an Apple Watch forum when we judge it's time to do so. In the meantime discussion of the Apple Watch will be in the "Other Hardware Forum".

Reaction score
And you're acting disrespectful. Tone it down.... we'll setup an Apple Watch forum when we judge it's time to do so. In the meantime discussion of the Apple Watch will be in the "Other Hardware Forum".

There's been no disrespect on my part. Youve simply dug ur feet in the sand on this issue and despite sound reason for their to be a Watch sub-forum in the iPhone section, youre now not going to budge.

No need to remind me you're in control & judge/jury on the matter. Youve made that quite clear by not accommodating a simple request from the members of this forum.

Youve still yet to give one legitimate reason why the Watch shouldnt have it's own forum. Actually, at the rate it's selling you'll be forced to shortly since units in circulation seem to be what your criteria is. Making your stubbornness on this issue all a waste of energy.

In fact, youre only making more work for yourself being as you will have to find & move all the watch threads into the forum once you eventually come to your senses. Whereas creating the forum now allows us to put the would-be threads all in one place for you. But again, you are in charge, suit yourself.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At no point do we make that claim.

There's been no disrespect on my part.
Your very first post in this thread said that our decision was "lame" and you've layered on the passive aggression at the end of your last post. Please note that we are very receptive to our users suggestions and consider all of them but suggesting that we do so through aggressive and/or inappropriate language is not appreciated.

Youve simply dug ur feet in the sand on this issue and despite sound reason for their to be a Watch sub-forum in the iPhone section, youre now not going to budge.
We've said from the beginning that we will re-assess at some point if the number of watch threads warrants a sub-forum. Please see our earlier posts in this thread for clarification.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.