• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Uk reveals 8-core Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
That would blow away my 400Mhz!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
would be pretty nice if i could afford it !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini core duo 1.83 Gz
wow. and i just bought a 2 core :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
That would blow away my 400Mhz!

Most pocket calculators would blow away your G3 400Mhz! :)

But I suppose if you're long overdue an upgrade a quad core intel wouldn't be a bad place to start.

I don't know what all the fuss is about though.

Until every app is universal binary and actually makes use of all the cores - current software doesn't even make use of all the cores in a dual core 2 duo system - AND you can afford the extra ram you should have with such a system AND upgrade the graphics card, on top of the bankrupting price of the base system, what use would the average punter have for a behemoth of a machine.

It would be like owning one of the fastest cars in the world, but not having a long enough stretch of road for it to even reach half of it's top speed.

It's overkill.

I'd get one though, if I could afford it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have to agree with johnnyluu. Sounds great in principle, but we will need to wait for the software industry to catch up. I will be interested to see if Photoshop CS3 can take real advantage of that many simultaneous processors. Heavy weights like that might make it worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
Well its taken advantage of in rendering programs such as final cut, motion, after effects, 3ds max, maya etc. Performance goes up by around 80% with each core added. I remember seeing some benchmarks on toms hardware or somewhere where they replaced the 2 dual core CPUs in the mac pro with 2 4core ones. Performance increase was negligible in most programs, save the ones mentioned above, where it was remarkable. I mean, it basically has the rendering power that a small render farm had 5 or 6 years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Any Photoshop results? Any indication that it benefits from multiple cores?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i would think with a universal photoshop and 8 (yes 8) cores it would fly. but i think we;re gonna have 2 wait for proper tests.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure about photoshop. Whereas 3d programs are built from the ground up to take advantage of multi core, 2d programs arent. I guess there will be specific aspects of photoshop which will speed up, but otherwise im not sure.

Found this interesting:

Intel to cut Xeon pricing

This means that a quad core 2.66ghz xeon will cost around the same as a dual core 2.66ghz costs now (around £450 i think), which is good news and may mean that all new Mac Pros will be 8 core rather than just the top model, whilst maintaining the same price. that would be nice :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
I love reading rumors like this cause of course they are true. The site that posted it should change it's name to CaptainObvious.com. Notice how there is never any sort of indication when this will happen exactly? Don't get me worng I love reading rumors and this isn't anything negative towards anyone, but this is no different than saying, "Cars will be more fuel efficient." It's an inevitability.
Sorry, just had to get that out of my head. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well best bet is the release of OSX.5, which is supposedly the same date as CS3, which is supposedly within the next couple of months.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.