Apple TV

Reaction score
I have upgraded my Mac Air to OS X Yosemite because I was having trouble with movies dropping out and this fixed the problem. However I am now having an issue with videos jumping/jerking. How can I fix this please?

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum. Way too little information to help you. Can you read the article linked in my sig and repost, please?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Jake
Thanks for your reply. I hope I can provide enough information regarding my issue. I am using Safari Version 8.0.2 and OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
The problem is with using Airplay which is quite new to me as I have just recently purchased Apple TV HDMI 1080p. When I setup my computer to watch downloaded movies from my external hard drive, or even catch-up TV direct from my Mac the movie or whatever is jerky/jumpy and speech out of sync. As I said I upgraded my operating system to Yosemite and the first movie I watched through Apple TV was as it was showing on my computer - perfect. However now everything I try to view has the same jumpy transmission. I have checked all my settings and all my updates on computer are up to date. Have even turned modem on and off. Settings on my Apple TV are also okay. So I have this frustrating problem and wonder if there is a solution?
Many thanks for any info/help you can suggest.
Marion

M

MacInWin

I have occasionally seen that with my Apple TV, too. What I have observed is that it most often happens if I have multiple things going on in my Mac (multiple windows open) and if my network is busy (other machines, other users on it). I haven't found a perfect "cure" but I have noted that if I close all other programs and disconnect/reconnect to my network the problem is either reduced or pretty much eliminated. There will always be a little lag between the MBP screen and the AppleTV just because of the transmission from the MBP to the Apple TV, but at least it gets smoother in playback. I also copy the movie from the EHD to the internal drive and then unmount the external drive(s) (all of them if you have more than one) during the movie. That also seems to help. Then when the movie is over, you can delete it from the internal drive to recover the space.

OP
S
Reaction score
My issue appears to have been resolved thank you. There has been a nation wide problem with my Bigpond service provider for the previous two days,(of which I was unaware) and apparently this has caused an interruption with many account users across the country affected in various ways. Now that it has been fixed my Apple TV is working satisfactorily, thank goodness. However I did as you suggested and am copying any movies from my EHD to the internal drive and then disconnecting the EHD just to keep everything running smoothly. So far, so good. Many thanks for your very obliging help. I appreciate it very much.

M

MacInWin

That's curious, but it could be that the ISP problems somehow tied up your wireless router. Technically, the link between your MBP and the ATV is all internal to your home network, but I guess if the ISP is floundering about, the router could be busy from all that activity. The one thing to be careful about using my copy method is to make sure the movie is still on the External before deleting it from the internal. You don't want to accidentally move it to internal instead of copying it. But it's a good way to go as long as you do take that one precaution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.