Apple TV in Country A...I am in Country B...can I change settings?

Reaction score
I am truly a global citizen and bounce between several countries in Europe and US...well, not now with quarantines...but you get the picture.

My primary residence is in the US.

My Apple TV is currently in European Country A and the account is set to Country A.
I am holed up in Country B during the virus.

I want to rent some movies on my MBP from the US store. I have an account there...so far, so good.

I opened the TV app on my MBP (OS 10.15.4) and realized the movie I wanted to rent was only being made available from Country A.

I opened my Account Information and change my Country/Region to United States.

The TV app still only shows content from Country A.

I have never had a problem changing regions and seeing content from different countries when getting mobile apps. But what about TV content. Why isn't the content changing when I change the region?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Where did you change the account information? Was it in Music app? I ask this because I was asked to update my cc info when I was going to purchase an app in the macOS App Store, but I couldn't change it in the App Store, I had to update the info through the Music app. I think that is where all media purchases are still funneled through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I opened the TV app on my MBP (OS 10.15.4) and realized the movie I wanted to rent was only being made available from Country A.

I opened my Account Information and change my Country/Region to United States.

The TV app still only shows content from Country A.

I have never had a problem changing regions and seeing content from different countries when getting mobile apps. But what about TV content. Why isn't the content changing when I change the region?

I don't remember the details too well, but when we setup our Apple TV it asked us for what area we were in and then provided a notice that we would only be able to change it an additional five times.

So I guess you can only move back and forth four times Before you are locked out!!! I do not know if there is a work about.

Maybe things have changed with the latest Apple TV Models but I'd doubt it.

- Patrick
======

OP
T
Reaction score
Perfect...this worked.

I opened the Music app and to view my Account. It gave me a pop-up notice that my account was switching to the US store.

So...now the Movie app is also connected to the US store.

Never would have thought about that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I doubt the five changes limit will go away. I seem to recall that limit is not from the hardware/software guys, but from the movie/recording industry were trying to limit piracy and cross-border movie/music transfers. So until the intellectual property rights regulations change, 5 is it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.