• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple TV & DVD Combo?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 core2, 2gigs ram, 120gig HD / 24" iMac, 2.33 core 2, 2 gig, 256 grapics, 500hd
What is the liklyhood of Apple releasing the 2nd gen Apple TV with a DVD
drive?
-Play
-Rip
-Burn?
it's possible...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
What is the liklyhood of Apple releasing the 2nd gen Apple TV with a DVD
drive?
-Play
-Rip
-Burn?
it's possible...

As a 2nd gen product? I don't think it's too likely at this point. 3rd gen maybe. It's a touchy subject if you think about it...If I were them, I'd have to think about if they give people who pirate music/videos/movies something to directly pirate them to disk in a non-computer product such as the Apple TV, it could lead to problems for Apple in the long run. Now if people take apart the product and modify it, it's outside of Apple's "worry". :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i'd say if they ever put a dvd drive in it, it will not have the ability to burn.

OP
jonnycrimson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 core2, 2gigs ram, 120gig HD / 24" iMac, 2.33 core 2, 2 gig, 256 grapics, 500hd
I never really thought of the pirate aspect. I just thought it would make me want it that much more if it had the option to play direct rather then buy from itunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
In that case, you would only need playback- you know, like a real DVD player (which most people have [that was why Nintendo didn't give the Wii DVD plalyback]).

OP
jonnycrimson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like simple (all in one) for me...

Reaction score
Apple hate physical media..

they want to move away from DVD's and CD's and all physical media. The future is now with Apple. they want all file interaction to be electronic and i agree with that. Physical media should only be in the form of something self-contained and stable. No handling, moving around so that human interaction with it will cause wear and damage and loss of data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.