Apple TV 3 (2013) A1469

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

I have an Apple TV 3,2 (A1469) running software version 7.8 (8158). My question relates to jailbreaking this Apple TV 3,2.

Can I ask the question and seek help / advice here or is that not allowed on Mac-Forums?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The bigger question is why would you want to jailbreak it? What feature or app are you looking to get that isn't readily available on the Apple store? Also if you brick the ATV during this process, you are on your own and will get no help from Apple on getting things resolved as you've voided your warranty.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Andrew, I think the best and most honest way of helping you is to find a means of achieving what you are after without a jailbreak.

In order to do that, please share with us what your end game is, please.

Ian

OP
YanAndrew
Reaction score
Andrew, I think the best and most honest way of helping you is to find a means of achieving what you are after without a jailbreak.

In order to do that, please share with us what your end game is, please.

Ian

Hi Raz0rEdge & Ian,

It is the Apple TV 3,2 (2013), Apple no longer supports it and it is way past the expiry of its warranty.

There’s very little I can do with the ATV at the moment. I cannot even use AirPlay on it and I have no idea why. I’m guessing Apple through one of the updates blocked AirPlay for third party apps. There’s no App Store in the ATV3. I am just trying to give it a second chance of life coz I have a Plex server so I’m trying to get Plex on it. Then I discovered a jailbreak software and read that after successfully jailbreaking it one can install apps and watch lots of programmes that one cannot do otherwise.

Right now, the ATV3 is good as a paperweight only.

OP
YanAndrew
Reaction score
So will you Guys guide me through the jailbreak process? Or do you still think I shouldn’t even try it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
In that case, since you wouldn't be sad if it broke and won't bother fixing it, by all means try jailbreaking it. If jailbreaking is supported on that device and the tvOS version it is running, the instructions you find should be very clear.

The one time I did this with my iPhone 3S a millennia ago, the step by step instructions were easy to follow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.