Apple SuperDrive issue

OP
R
Reaction score
My mistake, it's a MacBook Pro Laptop, Retina, 15" and it does not have a built in optical drive.

I enjoyed all the chatter on this matter, but no solutions so I'll just take it to the Apple store where purchased and let them get the solution. Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick, I think that's not quite right. I have a MBP that used to have an internal optical drive, but I took that drive out and put in an SSD in the space. I moved the optical to an enclosure and it works fine over USB. But I also have a third party optical that also works with the USB ports (and did so even when the optical was still internal).

chscag, so you are saying that if you go to the Apple store and buy an external superdrive, that Apple has buggered with the firmware deliberately to prevent it working on a MBP that once had an internal optical drive? I just want to be sure that is what you are saying. Because I stand by what I said about external opticals working just fine for data for MBPs that once had or still have an internal Optical drive.

Jake. What you're describing is a totally different situation. A MacBook Pro that originally came with an internal optical drive (which was removed & replaced with an internal SSD) compared to a retina MacBook Pro that never had (and is not capable of having an internal optical drive)...are two totally different situations.

What you mentioned about the firmware (Apple buggering with the firmware)…would be my guess. There's no real reason why Apple's external superdrive should not work with MacBook Pro's that originally had an internal optical drive (just like any 3rd party external optical drive purchased from OWC, Newegg, etc.). Other than Apple messing with the firmware…so that the external Apple superdrive ONLY works with Apple computers that never had an internal optical drive.

Here's the Apple document on it:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202665

The main quote from the article:

"The Apple USB SuperDrive and MacBook Air SuperDrive are compatible with any Mac manufactured after 2008 that doesn’t have a built-in optical drive."

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Nick, I think I will say that that is about the dumbest decision Apple could make, ever. Crippling an external drive to prevent it working with a Mac with an internal drive design (whether or not the drive is there or working) is just plain stupid. Particularly when third party drives work just fine. The design engineer who made that decision should be fired. All that decision accomplishes is to make fewer people want to buy a Superdrive.

But there it is.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
All that decision accomplishes is to make fewer people want to buy a Superdrive.

LOL Jake, no way I would buy that overpriced upside down looking drive anyway. The inexpensive Samsung USB drive that I bought for less than $40 works great even if it doesn't match the decor of my iMac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
The external Apple Superdrive is designed to only work with Mac's that did not have internal Superdrives. Some time back I did try a hack (now forgotten what it was) to run an early Apple external superdrive on a 2008 iMac, and it worked.

If you use an optical drive removed from a Mac and mount it in an external case, it is not the same as the Apple external Superdrive. It is effectively the same as the popular Samsung external optical drives, and will work on any Mac with a functional USB port. The Apple external Superdrive will not. I always use VLC to play movies, last time I checked this worked fine on an external Samsung drive.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Unfortunately, we've not sorted the OP's problem despite 25 posts:Blushing:

Maybe rdmoo will be kind enough to post back the result of his visit to Apple?

Ian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, I think I will say that that is about the dumbest decision Apple could make, ever. Crippling an external drive to prevent it working with a Mac with an internal drive design (whether or not the drive is there or working) is just plain stupid. Particularly when third party drives work just fine. The design engineer who made that decision should be fired. All that decision accomplishes is to make fewer people want to buy a Superdrive.

Jake…I believe you're discovering this issue a bit late (which is totally ok since sometimes our interest in some topics only hits us when it effects us personally).:)

This was a more frequent issue a few years ago when MacBook Pro's with internal optical drives were still more prevalent (and retina MacBook Pro's less common). Lots of threads from folks purchasing the external Apple superdrive (to use with their older MacBook Pro's that had an internal optical drive)…then finding out they wouldn't work (only work with Apple computers that DID NOT come with a builtin optical drive).

Yes…very confusing why Apple did this. It's got to be a firmware thing. Certainly nothing to do with the mechanics. Since 3rd party external optical drives work just fine.:)

Just a crazy theory. Maybe Apple wanted folks that had MacBook Pro's with failed internal optical drives to come to Apple to have them replaced ($$$)…instead of using an external optical drive alternative (less $$ for users).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, we've not sorted the OP's problem despite 25 posts:Blushing:

Most likely a:

- failed slot-loading optical drive
- dirty optical drive
- wrong disk
- damaged or dirty disk

* Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Bottom line here; don't buy an Apple (external) SuperDrive. I have a (starts with S ends with Y) external USB DVD/CD burner/player which worked fine with my 2012 MBP (with internal SuperDrive) played commercial DVD's fine and works just the same with my 2015 MBP. For what you get I think the SuperDrive is overpriced with its only saving grace being that it looks good with your new iMac desktop.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an Apple external superdrive. Bought it for my wife to use with her MacBook Air.

It looks great (sleek, trim, and aluminum case) compared to other 3rd party optical drives. I bought it used for about $30 via Craig's List. Guy that sold it to me said he hardly used it (just like new)…with original box.

I certainly wouldn't pay $79 for it brand new when 3rd party alternatives at $30-$35 work just fine. But used for $30 I'm ok with.:)

Just important to know it's limitations (can't be used with Apple computers that originally came with an internal optical drive).

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Well, with a bit of searching I found a hack that allegedly worked for Yosemite. Didn't bother trying it as it's not a problem for me, but it is to open terminal and enter this:

sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1"

Just about everyone who tried that found that the superdrive then was recognized just fine. As I said, I didn't try it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very interesting Jake. Seems like the perfect situation for a creative computer language knowledgeable person to ask the question "Why"…and find a solution!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.