• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Store down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4
Anybody know what the store is down for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
In the Bar & Grill thread, Benjamindaines suggested that it may be because they're going to introduce a bluray disc drive. I pray that isn't the case though. I don't like bluray.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67ghz, Macbook Intel Core Duo 1.86ghz
Final Cut 6, supposedly introduced today at NAB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
In the Bar & Grill thread, Benjamindaines suggested that it may be because they're going to introduce a bluray disc drive. I pray that isn't the case though. I don't like bluray.

Well, you do know that Apple is on the Blue-Ray working group so if this happens it should NOT be a surprise. What do you have against Blu-Ray?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Well, you do know that Apple is on the Blue-Ray working group so if this happens it should NOT be a surprise. What do you have against Blu-Ray?

I have a Toshiba HD-A1, so if HDDVD loses the format war, I'll be out $300. That and the fact that it seems BD is more expensive simply because it has 20GB more space than HDDVD, but there's no real quality difference between the two in terms of sound and picture quality. I won't be completely distraught if BD does win, but I'd really like to see HDDVD be the format that fills in the shoes of DVD. I know my reasons are selfish, but oh well.;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Open Format Timeline will allow users to mix formats, mix resolutions and even mix frame-rates. The application will also include SmoothCam, which will remove unwanted camera motion. Editiable Motion Templates within Final Cut Pro will also be included in this version.

OMG!

And theres multi-cam in motion!

I wanna try and get the studen pricing...

The Final Cut Server is obviously an attempt at entering the studio-level market.

That and the fact that it seems BD is more expensive simply because it has 20GB more space than HDDVD, but there's no real quality difference between the two in terms of sound and picture quality.

Well technically, HD DVD is the same technology as DVD, but squashed up and using a thinner laser. On the other hand, blue ray is far more advanced, and capacity has already reached 250gb using a 10 layer disc. thats in the realm of holographic discs!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well technically, HD DVD is the same technology as DVD, but squashed up and using a thinner laser. On the other hand, blue ray is far more advanced, and capacity has already reached 250gb using a 10 layer disc. thats in the realm of holographic discs!

This is one of those cases where neither format is going to lose. There are already devices that will do both in the works, along with DVD and CD as well. I think the industry is big enough and broad enough at this point to except multiple standards/formats and simply allow the hardware to to take whatever the user throws at it. This provides so much more choice and flexibility for the consumer than a single format/standard being forced on them that it's not even funny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is one of those cases where neither format is going to lose. There are already devices that will do both in the works, along with DVD and CD as well. I think the industry is big enough and broad enough at this point to except multiple standards/formats and simply allow the hardware to to take whatever the user throws at it. This provides so much more choice and flexibility for the consumer than a single format/standard being forced on them that it's not even funny.

Personally, i agree, but Blue Ray is outselling HD DVD by quite a large margin, and PS3 will help too. But i dont care, i have no loyalty to multi-billion dollar companies (except apple obviously ;) )

But back to FC, Color looks amazing. The only other proper color grading program i can think of is Autodesk's Lustre, which costs tens of thousands!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
did you guys see the itoilet? it looks pretty sweet.. its has a touch screen on the side where you can control the flush.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV

It will also be interesting to see how fast each brand tries to outdo each other. I think we'll see steps ahead come much faster from these formats than there was from DVD to here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will also be interesting to see how fast each brand tries to outdo each other. I think we'll see steps ahead come much faster from these formats than there was from DVD to here.

I agree. Technological advancement seems to increase at an increasing rate. I'd like to know where the ceiling is when our technology cannot get any better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. Technological advancement seems to increase at an increasing rate. I'd like to know where the ceiling is when our technology cannot get any better.

Technically its when we get to 1nm data paths on a disc, which is where holographic discs come in, having multiple data paths in 3 dimensions, like layers on a dvd, but its got hundreds i think. I think HD DVD is 130nm (CPUs have data paths of around 65nm for the newest ones), though im not sure. Holographic discs are supposedly able to have multiple TB on a single side of a disc, but it currently costs hundreds per disc. It is going to come out in a few years though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
final cut studio 2.

all i found so far.

new prices on cinema displays on the uk store as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.