• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple reportedly isn't planning to release a new 27-inch iMac

Reaction score
Apple discontinued the 27-inch iMac when it launched the Mac Studio and 5K Studio Display, but reports that came out earlier this year suggested that a replacement was in the works. According to 9to5Mac, though, Apple currently has no plans to release an all-in-one iMac bigger than 24 inches in the near future.

If true, that means we won't be seeing a 27-inch model powered by an M1 processor — the recently discontinued iMac still uses Intel chips — anytime soon. Apple reportedly has no plans for a larger iMac equipped with an M1 Pro, Max or Ultra, as well. We also likely won't be seeing one with the M2-powered MacBooks that Apple is expected to launch later this year. 9to5Mac says it got the information from the same source that told the publication about the pro-level Mac Studio and the Studio Display before they were unveiled.

At the moment, the only iMacs you can get straight from the Apple Store website is the 24-inch model with M1 processor released last year. The publication says the tech giant is developing a new 24-inch all-in-one computer slated to be introduced sometime in 2023. However, similar to the MacBook Air and the 13-inch MacBook Pro, it will likely remain one of the company's (relatively) affordable options and won't come with its high-end chips.

Click here to view the article...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
"we won't be seeing a 27-inch model powered by an M1"
Sorry to hear that.

"the tech giant is developing a new 24-inch all-in-one"
What does "all-in-one" mean?
Everything except the keyboard and mouse is "in the monitor"? Like the 2017 27" iMac?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I love my 2017 27" iMac. I do have an older 24" that I use for certain software I need to keep.
The big screens are wonderful for my vision.

Reaction score
The iMacs have always been considered to be "all-in-ones" even though they don't integrate the keyboard.

While Apple doesn't seem to intend to release a new 27-inch iMac with Apple Silicon anytime soon, it would be really easy to approximate one by purchasing a Macintosh mini of your choosing and pairing it with a nice 27-inch monitor.

You can spec a recent mini to be surprisingly powerful, and 27-inch monitors are currently the sweet spot for bang for your buck. You can even perch your monitor on top of your mini, or mount your mini onto the back of your monitor, to have an ultra-low desktop footprint, like you would have with an iMac.

Reaction score
If my wife's 27" Mac dies, I would go Mac Mini with a 27" monitor. (Unless she wins the Lottery, when I would go Mac Studio). I went with the 24" iMac which works well (except I would prefer to go with a default screen resolution if everything wasn't so small).

Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.