Apple releases iOS 14.5 with stricter app tracking privacy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please be sure to backup your iPhone, iPad to iCloud and your Mac/PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Normally, I wait a week or two to install the update, but "Privacy\Tracking" made me update my iPhone quicker.

The default setting for the "Privacy\Tracking"is:

tracking.jpg

That's fine by me, since there aren't many apps on my iPhone. Couple of the dinosaurs and Super Mario games continues to work, but start up much faster than previously. My grandson will be happy....

Now, my pet peewee... Maybe iOS 14.5 will allow the next OTA update via the 5G cell connection... (y), at least I hope so....

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, I did the same, when iOS 14.5 came out I toggled "Allow Apps to Request to Track" to OFF. Consequently not only are apps prevented from tracking me for the purposes of passing my details on the third parties but also prevented them from asking me. The "bug" fixed in this patch apparently an issue where this option was greyed out for some users.

In Location Services I have that switched ON but, have set all of the apps on the list to "While Using" and do not allow them to run in the background with the exception of App Clips which seems like a necessity.

The setting is; Settings > Privacy > Tracking > Allow Apps to Request to Track. If it's ON you will get individual requests from apps in a dialogue box and they will be listed with individual toggles to selectively turn on/off (if you change your mind) in the screen below the above setting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.