Apple raised my expenses

Reaction score
Hello,

yes, this post may sound a flame :D , but the goal is to keep it quite :p .

I just made a budget review, and I can say that I spend 100 British pounds monthly, more or less.
This is the cost considering the life span of all my electronics, Microwave etc excluded :D , divided in monthly costs...

Apart the value itself, which is high, there's a bigger problem, I use a gaming machine that I don't want to get rid off (and I can't because Apple and Gaming didn't quite succeeded, apart Playstation cloud gaming).
Hence, that plus iPhone, Watch and eventually a new iMac with pumped hardware, it's gonna reach around 125...
Don't get me wrong, I work in IT and luckily I won't feel that budget, but one day I will or perhaps, I should consider the fact that my hardware expenses raised twice if I consider my situation 2y ago, but also my salary doubled (it's not always Christmas, it may significantly drop in future around 30% worst case)...

As a note, if I remove my gaming machine that would remove the 25 pounds increase, but certainly I would take a console...

I don't know exactly what to ask here, in the end it's my personal budget review, I just wonder what may come up from random answers :D , maybe things that I didn't notice.
What do you think?
Is it too much?
How much do you spend in electronics? Did you ever calculated your expenses in this way?
Are you the Apple user that takes everything from Apple and doesn't consider the expense?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
100 pounds for what? Electricity bill? There's no context here. Your post a little bit rambly and hard to understand.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't know exactly what to ask here, in the end it's my personal budget review, I just wonder what may come up from random answers :D , maybe things that I didn't notice.
What do you think?
Is it too much?
Are you the Apple user that takes everything from Apple and doesn't consider the expense?
Given the title of the thread "Apple raised my expenses"...I'll boil things down very simply.:)

Much of the time...hardware from Apple tends to be much more durable (doesn't break as easily as competitor products)...and much of the time folks using Apple products use them longer than competitor products (use them for more years).

Many of us use our Apple computers for 5, 8, 10 or even more years. Not unusual for Mac-Forums members to be posting questions/comments related to their 2009, 2011, 2012 computers (9-12 years old)...and many users that have 5+ year old computers. Not going to find this very often in the Windows World.;)

As to the rest of the electronics mentioned (microwave, gaming machines, etc)...can't speak to this...and aren't related to the thread title ("Apple raised my expenses").:)

Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agree with Ashwin. Definitely need more context as to what makes up the greater cost/month (due to Apple).

This can't just be purchase price...without taking into consideration how long a device will be useful/useful life to the user.

Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
100 pounds for what? Electricity bill? There's no context here. Your post a little bit rambly and hard to understand.
I mean the cost of the items, no electricity, no assistance, no maintanance, no breakage.

OP
C
Reaction score
Agree with Ashwin. Definitely need more context as to what makes up the greater cost/month (due to Apple).

This can't just be purchase price...without taking into consideration how long a device will be useful/useful life to the user.

Nick
I've taken that in consideration, and it's quite precise becasue I included the lifespan of each item, which is different for pretty much each one of them.

When I say that Apple raised my monthly expenses, I mean the iPhone, Apple Watch (I'll buy it) and iMac (I'll buy it).
Obviously, other things may come up...
In all that, I need also to account maintenance and repair costs that are higher, but in my previous calculation I didn't include it, so I had no way to compare.
It's important to notice that it will be much higher...

As you can understand, I come from Android (garbage) and Windows (garbage) only for Gaming and maybe office :D, I also use Linux heavily on old machines and some VM if needed.

OP
C
Reaction score
Given the title of the thread "Apple raised my expenses"...I'll boil things down very simply.:)

Much of the time...hardware from Apple tends to be much more durable (doesn't break as easily as competitor products)...and much of the time folks using Apple products use them longer than competitor products (use them for more years).

Many of us use our Apple computers for 5, 8, 10 or even more years. Not unusual for Mac-Forums members to be posting questions/comments related to their 2009, 2011, 2012 computers (9-12 years old)...and many users that have 5+ year old computers. Not going to find this very often in the Windows World.;)

As to the rest of the electronics mentioned (microwave, gaming machines, etc)...can't speak to this...and aren't related to the thread title ("Apple raised my expenses").:)

Nick
I don't think that a MacBook, Watch and iPhone will last 10y... Maybe an iMac only.......
I would excuse Apple only for the security offered :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Still don't get it, but whatever.

I don't buy things piecemeal. If I want something I buy it with my credit card and pay off the balance when the bill is due.

If you replace the battery of the MBP, Watch and iPhone, it will easily last decades. The hardware is not going to be the issue, it's usually the software that moves on and puts greater demands on the hardware that slowly is unable to match the demand.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I mean the cost of the items, no electricity, no assistance, no maintenance, no breakage.
Ok...good deal...thanks for clarifying.:)

It's basically a given that Apple products generally cost more than competitor products (computers, tablets, etc.)...no surprise here. But considering that Apple products generally don't break as easily...and generally you'll get more years out of Apple products than competitor products (useability)...the overall cost (per month or per year)...is usually lower.

For example...a new M1 MacBook Air can be purchased for $999. In the same number of years someone uses this MacBook Air...a Windows user may need to purchase 2 or even 3 Windows based laptops (for various reasons). Plus with Apple generally there are lower ongoing costs (after purchase costs).

Not saying Apple products are perfect. But almost everyone knows Apple products cost more. Thus if the discussion of the thread is "Apple raised my expenses"...this is a given initially...but ongoing (years after purchase)...the cost/month can be greater for non-Apple products.:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok...good deal...thanks for clarifying.:)

It's basically a given that Apple products generally cost more than competitor products (computers, tablets, etc.)...no surprise here. But considering that Apple products generally don't break as easily...and generally you'll get more years out of Apple products than competitor products (useability)...the overall cost (per month or per year)...is usually lower.

For example...a new M1 MacBook Air can be purchased for $999. In the same number of years someone uses this MacBook Air...a Windows user may need to purchase 2 or even 3 Windows based laptops (for various reasons). Plus with Apple generally there are lower ongoing costs (after purchase costs).

Not saying Apple products are perfect. But almost everyone knows Apple products cost more. Thus if the discussion of the thread is "Apple raised my expenses"...this is a given initially...but ongoing (years after purchase)...the cost/month can be greater for non-Apple products.:)

- Nick
You see, this thread was useful in the end, I knew there was something I didn't consider:
1. I didn't consider the lack of support of competitors (if I want to quantify it), normally, if something is out of support, I should change it, but I never did, so the cost was higher.......
2. Initially I considered the same lifespan of the previous considered devices, for example, an Android not more than 2y, the best scenario was 3y, in any case not anymore supported (I don't consider Samsung because it sucks, the best was Huawei but due to the Play Store ban, it's useless)
3. The fact that I will own different Apple devices, it raises the productivity, inevitably with M1 and the additional peace of mind due to the security offered, which many times gives me headache with a Windows machine.

Few notes for random readers:
- The iPhone will need to be replaced anyway in 3y max, I would be simply luckly if it lasts more
- Same for the Watch, I don't think it will last longer than 3y, plus I'm pretty sure that they will roll out some health feature that will push me to buy before its end of life :D
- I expect my devices for 7y max of lifetime, like the gaming machine, monitors, keyboards, mouse etc (that's expensive too :D ) , obviously the iPhone and Watch is set at 3y...
- There's can be a chance to spare some money, owning only iPhone and iWatch, in fact for the iMac or MacBook (mostly used for development) I need to think a lot, because I can do everything else with my current machines... I would obviously appreciate the security and support of Apple, but the cost doesn't look welcoming :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2005 G4 Mini & 2014 Mini & 2020 M1 Mini
If you want to save money drop the Imac and use your gaming computer, a must have, for all computing tasks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.