Apple Power Bricks + Universal Adapters Fall From Foreign 2-Pin Outlets

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" i9 (2019) Monterey. MBP 13" (2011) High Sierra. iPhone 6S+. Canon TS5051 Printer.
Do not use Anker power squares -- their 45W output will not charge up, or even run a 96W MacBook at break-even.

Use the original Apple charger, replacing the original, slot-in plug with an extension cable like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PQRK9WR/

The supplied outlet end can then be either used with a universal adapter, or replaced with a local plug. The weight of the power brick will not pull it out of the wall and need to be propped-up to maintain contact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Do not use Anker power squares -- their 45W output will not charge up, or even run a 96W MacBook at break-even.

I am assuming you realize that you are expecting a 45W output device to produce over double the amount of power that is normally required, but given enough time, it should still recharge such a device.

I also assume you are needing a plug and receptacle that works correctly in the electrical receptacle for the country you are using it in.

- Patrick
=======

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" i9 (2019) Monterey. MBP 13" (2011) High Sierra. iPhone 6S+. Canon TS5051 Printer.
I am assuming you realize that you are expecting a 45W output device to produce over double the amount of power that is normally required, but given enough time, it should still recharge such a device.

I also assume you are needing a plug and receptacle that works correctly in the electrical receptacle for the country you are using it in.

- Patrick
=======
Hi pm-r, fellow Queen's subject across the pond. I had been going by a YouTube poster's advice that the Anker kept up with his MacBook (not sure which model) video editing's requirement. He had recommended the Anker power square as being light for travel, with the independent body not breaking contact in loose-fitting wall outlets.

In the UK, Apple's original 96W transformer is securely held, but I bought the extension cable so I could replace the plug with North American for travel. Otherwise, with universal adapters, the heavy power brick tends to droop, and may require propping-up from the floor! The American plug will also work in most of Asia, but the European Schoko pins are slightly wider and need an adapter too. Australia and Switzerland have their own peculiar outlet designs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Otherwise, with universal adapters, the heavy power brick tends to droop, and may require propping-up from the floor!
I'm in the US and I've never had that issue. I guess in an old socket the tension on the blades that hold the plug in the socket can get weak, but I've not seen one. Strange that you should have that problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I'm in the US and I've never had that issue. I guess in an old socket the tension on the blades that hold the plug in the socket can get weak, but I've not seen one. Strange that you should have that problem.

:laugh This reminds me of our old house when I was quite young and using my dad's screwdriver, he was an electrician/engineer, I stuck it in the receptacle slot in an attempt to make a better connection and all I remember is seeing a big large flash and the end of Dads screwdriver disappeared. 😏
I believe it was a Klein screwdriver that used a straight through metal shaft with a wooden handle. Not the best design for insulating the user!!!

I believe my Dad replaced the receptacle and everything worked fine and I learned to respect electricity. 😏

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, all I can say is that story explains a lot about you! jk, ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The subject title and the text of the first post do not add up. Should we not use the Apple brick or not use the Anker brick?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Apple brick is just fine. The Anker brick isn't designed for and does not provide sufficient power for the Mac. I think the OPs only issue was that with the small two-prong duckhead adapter if the socket is loose, it can hang down. I've never seen it do that, or fall out of the socket, but the recommended solution is to use the power cable and not the duckhead. In the UK this is not a problem because the prongs are much longer than in the US, as you can see in the images of the cord being suggested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Apple brick is just fine. The Anker brick isn't designed for and does not provide sufficient power for the Mac. I think the OPs only issue was that with the small two-prong duckhead adapter if the socket is loose, it can hang down. I've never seen it do that, or fall out of the socket, but the recommended solution is to use the power cable and not the duckhead. In the UK this is not a problem because the prongs are much longer than in the US, as you can see in the images of the cord being suggested.

There are some blanket statements being made across this discussion that don't pass muster. Anker makes a variety of charging bricks, and more specifically makes 65w bricks that can charge a MacBook just fine. Their 65w Nano II (one of at least two wildly different models that they make in that capacity) actually supplies more power than the original Apple 61w brick and is much smaller. I have a really really REALLY hard time believing that these have trouble, or better said... more trouble... than the Apple brick would with just a single USB-C cable plugged in, and I have a lot of trouble believing Apple in particular would ship a brick that doesn't reliably stay plugged in. That said, I do agree that using the adapter with the Apple brick is ultimately the most stable, reliable option across broad usage scenarios, but that doesn't mean not using it will lead to the brick falling out of the socket routinely. At worst, I think it can be pulled out more easily. Same for the Anker Nano II, except it's smaller and should be more secure.

61kl5Sp5cXS._AC_SL1500_1200x.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are some blanket statements being made across this discussion that don't pass muster. Anker makes a variety of charging bricks, and more specifically makes 65w bricks that can charge a MacBook just fine. Their 65w Nano II (one of at least two wildly different models that they make in that capacity) actually supplies more power than the original Apple 61w brick and is much smaller. I have a really really REALLY hard time believing that these have trouble, or better said... more trouble... than the Apple brick would with just a single USB-C cable plugged in, and I have a lot of trouble believing Apple in particular would ship a brick that doesn't reliably stay plugged in. That said, I do agree that using the adapter with the Apple brick is ultimately the most stable, reliable option across broad usage scenarios, but that doesn't mean not using it will lead to the brick falling out of the socket routinely. At worst, I think it can be pulled out more easily. Same for the Anker Nano II, except it's smaller and should be more secure.
You have set up a straw man argument. Nobody intended a blanket statement about Anker in general. The OP referred to a specific Anker brick, rated for 45W, when the Apple brick that came with his Mac was a 96W brick. So, THAT Anker brick was woefully small for that Mac. Anker certainly makes larger power supplies, and a large enough one will work with Apple just fine. However, it is always a concern with a third party supply that it doesn't have the opto-isolation of the Apple unit. That isolation is for both the safety of the machine and the safety of the user. I am not saying Anker doesn't have that same isolation, they may well have it as well, but it is a factor that needs consideration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have set up a straw man argument. Nobody intended a blanket statement about Anker in general. The OP referred to a specific Anker brick, rated for 45W, when the Apple brick that came with his Mac was a 96W brick. So, THAT Anker brick was woefully small for that Mac. Anker certainly makes larger power supplies, and a large enough one will work with Apple just fine. However, it is always a concern with a third party supply that it doesn't have the opto-isolation of the Apple unit. That isolation is for both the safety of the machine and the safety of the user. I am not saying Anker doesn't have that same isolation, they may well have it as well, but it is a factor that needs consideration.

He said, and I quote: "Do not use Anker power squares -- their 45W output will not charge up, or even run a 96W MacBook at break-even.". There's no real qualifier here. He started off by saying not to use Anker power squares. Period. And otherwise implied they only make a 45W charger. He also implied the MacBook charger is 96W, which again is a blanket statement. Some MacBook Pros come with that. The M1 version doesn't. The MacBook Air doesn't. "The MacBook" doesn't (well, didn't when they were still making them). As for isolation, Anker conforms to the IEC safety standards. There's at least one teardown out there confirming that at least one particular charger made by Anker has opto-isolation. So yeah, Anker is safe. Theirs are the only 3rd party chargers I use right now.

To be clear, if he intended to be talking specifically about the 45W charger on a 96W MacBook Pro, then why not clarify that and also talk about how the 65W Anker is perfectly fine for MOST models/types of MacBooks?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LIAB, got your update. I use Anker supplies, they all work well for me as designed. I didn't say Ankers did not have opto-isolation, just that I didn't know if they did. I would not make a blanket statement that "Anker is safe" because of one teardown. But it's not that important and I'm done here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LIAB, got your update. I use Anker supplies, they all work well for me as designed. I didn't say Ankers did not have opto-isolation, just that I didn't know if they did. I would not make a blanket statement that "Anker is safe" because of one teardown. But it's not that important and I'm done here.

LOL! Ok, well they talk about their charger tech on their website and again, they comply with the IEC standards. If opto-isolation is part of the standard, then they have it. I haven't seen teardowns of every charger Apple has ever shipped, but besides the likelihood that they exist (doesn't everything Apple make get torn down by someone?), I also trust Apple. And I trust Anker because they are big enough and open enough about their builds to earn it. Anywho, didn't mean to start an argument. Just pointing out mainly to casual observers who don't know better that the OP has made horribly flawed and misleading statements. "Context is lacking".

Last edited:
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1). Ankers (rated 65W, but only 45W to USB-C) may be adequate for some MacBooks but not the 2019 i9 16" (96W). I could not find more-powerful Ankers in the UK.

2). British travellers to regions using 2-pin outlets have the combined weight of the UK plug, a universal/local adapter and the heavy power brick, all torquing to break contact.

3). North America users in Europe (but not Asia so much) could also face a similar issue. The duckhead extension cable is a practical solution which also gives the user the option of fitting a dedicated, no-adapter plug for the destination.

4). Apple and OEM companies give no thought or consideration on power supplies to international travellers, and should be giving an extension option, with various plugs, to buyers.

5). Even better would be a coordinated world plan to harmonise outlets within 10 years.

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
5). Even better would be a coordinated world plan to harmonise outlets within 10 years.

Laughable. :rofl We here in the US can't even get off the old English measurements. Everyone in the world is on the metric system except us. Long live King George! (sorry for my jokes, no insult intended to our very well respected UK members)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3). North America users in Europe (but not Asia so much) could also face a similar issue. The duckhead extension cable is a practical solution which also gives the user the option of fitting a dedicated, no-adapter plug for the destination.
I travel to the UK pretty frequently (pre-pandemic, anyway, and planning for this November). I have never faced any issue at all. I have adapters to fit to the UK sockets, then plug in the Apple brick and it just stays there. No pressure on it, really, as the other end is a MagSafe connector, so very little tugging on the brick. The cable is a practical solution if the socket is farther away than the cable reaches, so I generally throw it in the suitcase as a backup. But I rarely use it. I did debate getting a cable from Apple with the UK plug on it, but it just didn't seem to be needed at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
4). Apple and OEM companies give no thought or consideration on power supplies to international travellers, and should be giving an extension option, with various plugs, to buyers.
I'll dispute that. The Apple brick an be connected to US power (110v, 60~) or UK (208v, 50~) with no switches or adjustment needed. All you need is an adapter to let the US plug fit into the UK socket, or vice-versa if you are coming from UK to the US. I'd say that is definitely not "no thought or consideration." As for international travelers, there is this: Apple World Travel Adapter Kit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1). Ankers (rated 65W, but only 45W to USB-C) may be adequate for some MacBooks but not the 2019 i9 16" (96W). I could not find more-powerful Ankers in the UK.

Context is lacking. Or was. So, if I had to guess, you are talking about their dual-port Atom III, which does only deliver 45W over USB-C. But that's only a guess from reading between the lines, and that's not their only charger. They have 3 versions of the single-port Nano II. It comes rated at 30W, 45W, and 65W. I'm pretty sure the 65W version is in fact 65W. As for where to find in the UK?

USB C Charger, Anker Nano II 65W GaN II PPS Fast Charger Adapter, Compact Charger for MacBook Pro/Air, Galaxy S20/S10, Dell XPS 13, Note 20/10+, iPhone 12/Pro/Mini, iPad Pro, Pixel, and More: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

As pointed out, Apple most certainly does consider that, and their own brick, with the removable plug, is proof of that. As also pointed out, they sell a kit for international travelers. Although if your beef is that they sell it, not give it away, I would ask why should they be including that with everything when a minority of their customers even need it? Why would I want the retail price to reflect these add-ons that I have no use for?

I'm not even clear what this thread is about. First it was about Anker's bricks not being able to charge MacBooks (not true... you have to buy the CORRECT charger, which is equally necessary when buying an Apple charger). Now it's about international travel and adapters. Oi! So yes, Anker's chargers aren't a good option for frequent fliers. Anyone whose charger doesn't have a replaceable plug would be a poor choice. Most other PC laptops use a brick with a Figure 8 power cord that can be swapped out in the same manner as Apple's. In fact, Apple's charging brick actually has a cleverly designed Figure 8 connector and any Figure 8 cord will work on it.

Sorry to give you so much grief, but there is a lot of clarity lacking here, and some gross misinformation.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In fact, Apple's charging brick actually has a cleverly designed Figure 8 connector and any Figure 8 cord will work on it.
The funny thing is the Anker figure 8 cord works perfectly with the Apple brick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.