Apple policy sucks!

Reaction score
I bought a MacBook on Ebay. It is 2.4 Ghz, 4Gig of RAM. I am running OS 10.7.5. When I look at "About" it tells me that it is an early 2008 MacBook. When I log onto iTunes it recognizes the computer as a MacBook Pro so I paid Apple for the 10.8 upgrade. When I downloaded and tried to install it said my computer was not compatible with this upgrade. I called support and explained the issue. They told me that in fact it was not compatible so I asked for my money back and was refused because they said that I had redeemed the download. I am pretty upset over this and will dispute the credit card charge.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
This is very very unusual. I know that you mentioned that "About This Mac" verifies that it's a 2008 MacBook…it's very strange that the online store recognizes it as a MacBook Pro.

Since this is a used computer…I wonder if a previous owner did something to the computer to cause this to happen (something in the firmware or some sort of modification of OS files).

Apple is certainly correct…2008 MacBook's cannot run 10.8.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'd like to know where in iTunes you were told you had a MacBook Pro? When I log on to iTunes it identifies my iPad and iPhone which are on the same network as my iMac, but says nothing at all about what Mac I have.

OP
P
Reaction score
Here you go (screenshot)

Here's the screenshot that shows MacBook Pro on the itunes window. Check the attachment. Hopefully I did that right

Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 3.17.22 PM.png

M

MacInWin

All that shows is that you have connected an iPod that has as its name, "Macbook Pro." The apostrophe shows that it is "Macbook Pro's iPod." At some point, the owner of the iPod gave it that name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
That is not an indication of a MacBook Pro, that is merely the name of a device.

Cheers ... McBie

Edit: ******** :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to make a crazy suggestion…are you 100% sure that the "name" of the login account on your computer (MacBook) is not "MacBook Pro"? Since in the screenshot is says…"MacBook Pro's iPod".

For example…I might have named the account I log in with on my computer as "Nick". So if I sign into iTunes (and if I had an iPod attached)…it would say "Nick's iPod".

In your case the screenshot shows "MacBook Pro's iPod"…as if "MacBook Pro" is the login account on the computer…and not necessarily anything to do with identification of the computer's hardware spec's.

Or the device is named "MacBook Pro".

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both of you guys beat me to it (MacInWin and McBie)!!!;) Looks like we are all thinking the same thing!!!:)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Nick, I think the device name is set in the device, not the login account. I login as one name, have a different name on the iPhone. That different name shows up on iTunes when I connect the iPhone. You set it on the iPhone, Settings, General, About, Name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Looking at the screen shot iTunes is not reporting on the hardware. I suspect the eBay seller fitted a used hard drive taken from a MacBookPro and you likely synced the iPod to the MacBook. iTunes doesn't undertake a hardware check, after checking 'About This Mac' in the Apple menu, in retrospect you should have consulted on what the highest OS the MacBook would take. I can see how you became confused, but it's not Apple's fault.

Edit, I see lots more posts now since I started typing this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Both of you guys beat me to it (MacInWin and McBie)!!!;) Looks like we are all thinking the same thing!!!:)

- Nick

You don't wanna know what I am thinking right now ;P
Apple policy sucks .... yeah right. Give that man a cigar.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Case of not checking out all the facts before posting?

OP I trust you have not been conned by an eBay seller. Any so called 'free' software come with it?

Also MacTracker tells me the early 2008 MacBook, model A1181, can only run up to operating system X.7.5.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also MacTracker tells me the early 2008 MacBook, model A1181, can only run up to operating system X.7.5.

Yep. When I sold my immaculate 2008 white MacBook some years ago, I had just installed Lion and that was as far as that machine could go. Still a fairly good machine if you install 6 GB of memory and a SSD. The only drawback is the measly graphics - Intel X3100.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
P
Reaction score
To MacInWin, I have had the iPod since new and it was formatted on an iBook. I am thinking that the reseller on eBay probably put a MacBook Pro hard drive in the machine. In the upper right beside the search icon it says MacBook Pro yet the "about" says MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Like we said, it is the name of a device , not a computer model / brand.
There also is no hard disk brand / model that is named Macbook Pro. A HD can be named anything, including the words Macbook Pro.
Your machine is a Macbook, not a Macbook Pro.

Can you show us the print screen with the " MacBook Pro " in the upper right beside the search icon.
Maybe we can identify what it really means.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.