• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Patent Gives Lightweight Notebooks a Bulletproof Skeleton

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
via Gizmodo

The folks at Apple wanna redesign the ultraportable as we know it. Well, its insides at least. They wanna give it an enclosure that'll keep them from flexing, but not add any weight.
You see, the enclosures inside most notebooks have mechanical assemblies with parts that are screwed or fastened on. This makes for sturdy notebooks, but also heavier, bulkier systems. Rather than use screws, Apple wants to bond enclosures electrically or with glue/paste. This will make them sturdier than today's ultraportables, but also lighter than your typical notebook. No word on when we'll see such an animal (or if such an enclosure would work), but as an ultraportable fan, I hope this makes them a little tougher than what's out now. – Louis Ramirez

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook, 2GB DDR, 160GB 7200rpm SATA, Super Drive
Scary

Hope it doesn't break!

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
The concepts are looking pretty interesting. Some rumors so far:

-bulletproof, screwless skeleton
-no optical drive (or optical drive on the bottom)
-SSD in place of hard drive
-LED backlighting
-ultraportable (small) design

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Hope it doesn't break!

I agree. Sounds like a nice idea in principle, but more bonds = less screws = harder to repair. Either you end up having to replace large portions of the system that are bonded together, just to replace the small component that is actually broken, or they break all the bonds and then charge you 3x as much because they need to rebond it all back together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (black) 2.0 core2, 2gigs ram, 120gig HD / 24" iMac, 2.33 core 2, 2 gig, 256 grapics, 500hd
Sturdy yes. I agree with Thyamine, If I have the same luck that Im having with my macbook put me down for a new replacement unit every other month...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600
good! now that stupid sniper will stop trying to shoot my MacBook...hes aiming right now...

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I agree. Sounds like a nice idea in principle, but more bonds = less screws = harder to repair. Either you end up having to replace large portions of the system that are bonded together, just to replace the small component that is actually broken, or they break all the bonds and then charge you 3x as much because they need to rebond it all back together.

Their goal is probably to make RAM the only thing that is user-upgradable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook, 2GB DDR, 160GB 7200rpm SATA, Super Drive
some sort of

latch system maybe?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.