Apple newbie mistake.

Reaction score
I sold an iMac to someone a while ago (I know him) and the computer was still "mine" as it was only connected to my apple Id. He now realizes this and cannot do anything because I changed my password.

This is what I would like to know. I have asked in the apple forums but got snobby responses as if I should already know.

I want him to be able to take ownership of that iMac. HAve him create a new apple ID and remove mine completely. How can this hapen?

I would imagine he cannot simply to a factory restore (which I am not sure if apple has that feature), create a new apple id, and that is it, as he would need MY apple ID in order to get through the setup, right? I mean, if I find an iPad and I can use it but the owner changed that password, I cannot simply create a new appleID and viola it is mine,right?

So what needs to be done for him to have his own apple ID and never have to use mine again and pull mine totally from that computer?

C

chas_m

For his security and for yours I would strongly encourage him to do the following:

1. Set up his own Apple ID (do this first!) and check it by successfully signing into iTunes with it.

2. Back up any stuff he wants to save from the machine of his (documents, music, pictures, etc)

3. Erase the machine completely using the Recovery Partition or an external bootable drive, then download Yosemite from the Mac App Store (using his Apple ID) and install it, then restore his stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Just as chas m describes. This 'ownership' of digital downloads is building as a PITA!

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok, I am about to email him the directions, one last question. I haven't asked if he is completely locked out of the computer, which I doubt because there was no "log in" like windows. But, if he is, for some reason, locked out and I need to give him my password to initially get into the machine, once he creates his own apple ID and logs into iTunes with it successfully, I could change it again, right? But after he creates the apple ID, if he can log into iTunes with it, does that mean he is good to go?

Reaction score
Please, is what I said above the correct course of action, this man still is unable to access this because I do not want to give him incorrect information

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What you suggested above should get him into the machine and registered over to him from you. Just make sure any password you give him is not the same one that you're using for other sites. Common sense. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.