Apple Music will not play after migrating from old iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 14.2.1; iPhone 11; iPad Air, iPad Pro
My apple music will not play since migrating to new iMac, OS 11.16.1. Music opens, and I can see music, but none will play.
I made sure this computer is authorized.
Here is what comes up when I try.
CantLocate.jpg

Same in my Sonos app, below. It finds music from playlist, and then get this.

AccessDenied.jpg

Users & Groups looks like below. I had all pw protected, and would like to NOT require pw on those 3 accounts, or maybe all of them, but do not see option to remove pws. Top one is most used. Not sure how I ended up with 4 users after migrating.
Users:groups.jpg

Looks like this is the path to the music, but don't know how to access.
Files.jpg

Frankly liked the old iTunes better, and very frustrated. Lots of time spent uploading my own music, not to mention quite a bit bought from apple.

I would really appreciate any help. Totally frustrated.

TY in advance.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Ruth,

It's a horrid state to be in and I greatly sympathise. I think I may be able to answer some of your questions.

Not sure how I ended up with 4 users after migrating.

How did you transfer data from the old to the new Mac? Did you use Migration Assistant (MA)? And was it from a Time Machine backup? I ask these questions because it may be that you created a new identity, ie, a new Admin account or similar.

That's one problem to be sorted when we know a bit more from your answers.

Secondly, your music. What your Music app is seeking, is guidance in locating your actual music library (aka your "Music Media folder location"). It doesn't appear to be where your screenshot suggests.

Asa to how to check the path:

Open Finder. On the left sidebar, Click on Macintosh HD > Users > Your name (be careful here because it looks like you have several users so initially choose the most likely candidate) then Click on Music, then Music again, then Media. See if it is there. If it is, fine. If not, repeat the process for your other names.

Knowing or confirming where your music media files are, we can link your Music app to that site.

**BTW: if you can't see Macintosh HD or indeed don't see a Sidebar on the left when you open Finder, do this:

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ian
Open Finder. Then Click on the Finder icon in the top menu bar and choose "Preferences".

Then Click on "Sidebar" and tick on Your Name.

OP
ramcclain
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 14.2.1; iPhone 11; iPad Air, iPad Pro
I just saw your reply, and sorry for 'missing' it , and do appreciate it. I will try this later today, as I still have old iMac up.

To answer, used migration asst. from old to new one; not time machine, which had malfunctioned eons ago, so had quit using it.

Before I did the migration, I did save a LOT on an external HD, just in case, so music may be on there. However, when I open Music, NONE of the past purchases from iTunes/apple store show up either.

Again, many thanks, and definitely going to try later, and will let you know what happens.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.