Apple Music playlist doesn't track current song in a plalylist

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'm on a MBA Sonoma 14.3.1 and have a large music collection that was managed by iTunes and is now managed by Apple Music. I have Apple Music 1.4.3.27 running.

I have a smart playlist that excludes a few genres that I don't want to listen for most of the year and I have it set to show the playlist as "View->as Songs".

I have the Rating column visible and what I want is to play songs and have the cursor move to the current song so that I can quickly rate the song or make any other alterations (to the name, lyrics, etc.)

This was working on my work MBP with Ventura 13.6.3, but they're buttoning down access on the device and I can't mount any network drives anymore, so I switched to my personal MBA.

On the Ventura based Apple Music, if I hit CMD+L when I was not on the current song, it would jump within the playlist to the current song. On the Sonoma Apple Music, the same shortcut takes me to the album and the song. But now the Rating column isn't present, and I have to use Get Info (CMD+I) to set the rating and then hit back to go back to the playlist. That's a lot of unnecessary clicks.

I've looked through the settings and don't see anything interesting in there.

Does anyone else running Apple Music on Sonoma have a similar or different experience?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Ashwin; you are way ahead of me in your use of KB shortcuts and my reply below is really scratching the surface, but for what it's worth:

For me, using the paid version of Apple Music, Cmd + L shows the currently playing song in the list, whether that be Apple's selection/choice or in any Playlist Apple or I chose.

I'm now going to "cheat" by linking you to Apple Music KB Shortcuts in the hope that this might help :) ;)

There are pages of options!

Sorry to be rather superficial in my reply.

Ian

OP
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Thanks Ian for the link, I did check to see if I was somehow using the wrong shortcut or something, but no, I was using the correct one.

But this did force me to re-examine how I was using my playlists and playing songs. I have a number of playlists created for different reasons, so I went to a different one with less songs on it and hit the Shuffle button to play a song and then I can skip and have it follow the song in the playlist. I can also now scroll to a random spot and hit CMD+L to get back to the spot in the playlist.

I went back to the regular playlist and repeated this process and now it's doing what I expected.

My music and library are stored on a shared drive and the library is from the old iTunes days. With each upgrade of iTunes and Music, the library keeps updating to keep all of my history. When I switched from my Ventura based MBP to Sonoma based MBA, that upgrade must have taken a while to finish on my large library since on initial load, none of the songs would play and I had other goofy issues. Now, a couple of days later, looks like things have settled down and Music is behaving as I expected.

So false alarm it seems. 😃

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm just glad that you're happy(y)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.