• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Moves To Allow Third Party Repair!

Reaction score
In a major change in policy (due to the "Right To Repair" movement), Apple is moving to allow users and third party repair technicians access to Apple service manuals, genuine Apple parts and even the rental of necessary tools!

Apple’s Self Service Repair now available
Genuine Apple parts and tools can now be purchased by US customers

To start the Self Service Repair process, a customer will first review the repair manual for the product they want to repair by visiting:

Self Service Repair - Apple support

Then, they can visit the Apple Self Service Repair Store and order the necessary parts and tools.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's an interesting follow on to the Apple Self Service Repair Program which was gleaned from MacRumors. It seems although Apple's Self Service Repair program is a step in the right direction, it may in fact be less costly for the typical DIY person to let Apple do the repair rather than DIY.

The example from MacRumors involves a battery replacement for an iPhone 12 Mini:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
The biggest problem in replacing an iPhone battery is getting the original out because the glue is like concrete. I thought I was going to have to buy my cousin a new phone when I embarked on installing a genuine Apple battery in her 6. I broke the plastic spatula which came with the kit then managed to pierce the battery itself, noxious vapour and liquid spurting out! Big clean up, mangled it out and put new one in, hoping the acid hadn't damaged anything. It survived but never again.

Upgraded RAM in my first MBP with the aid of a Crucial video.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.