Apple monitor to Macbook pro, not receiving you !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
Help ! Trying to get my wife's MacBook pro to talk to my A1267 Apple 24" monitor but get no screen at all.

I've used this with my previous MacBook Pro and Mac mini (which has broken ) and am trying to take picture of the screen to make sure its working OK.

So I have connected them hip and can't get a screen.

Here's what it looks like. How can I get the screen to show. Just closing the MacBook pro doesn't work as it did when I had one.

Shirley's.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Threads merged - Please do not post the same thread in multiple locations, we will move threads if they aren't in the right place.

I've never played with the Apple monitor, but every other monitor I've even seen indicates whether it has signal or not. Do you get any such indication?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What connectors from the monitor are plugged in to which ports on the MBP? Are you using an adapter of some sort? Also, did you go into System Preferences > Displays, and see which options are available, before and after plugging the monitor in?

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 1TB SSD (2019; OS Ventura 13.5.2), 3 GHz, 8GB; 1TB; Glyph Studio 1TB ext;
No indication of connection.
Mains works and mains feed to MBP green light
Mini display plug ( = lightening 2 ?) + USB connected from Monitor A1267

Have now tried System prefs/Display then hold down alt key to switch to 'Detect Monitor' ...... with no result on closing MBP lid.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for removing the duplicate post - my error.
I have a duplicate redundant photo you'll see, I can't seem to remove, just to add to the complication. Any idea ? There's only one attach (30857) !?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Next should be NVRAM & SMC resets? I know when I had my 2011 15" MBP, I had to do them multiple times, I order to get the external monitor working.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Next should be NVRAM & SMC resets? I know when I had my 2011 15" MBP, I had to do them multiple times, I order to get the external monitor working.

Googled these and did it for both. The NVRAM took half an hour ! Pressing alt/cmd/P/R ... tired fingers. But connection still.

Last edited:
OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 'Detect Display' on holding down alt seems to have worked because now, with the Monitor plugged into the MBP, there's no bottom menu bar on the MBP, no mouse arrow and get top menu is greyed out on the MBP.

I suspect this is because the monitor IS detected and the menus are there on the monitor together with the mouse arrow but are just not visible for some reason.

Interestingly on plugging in the Monitor I hear a short scratch sound and microsecond flash on the screen and then all goes black.

I'm writing this on teh MBP of course with the monitor Unplugged because if I now plug it in, the MBP screen goes dead, suggesting the monitor is detected but black.

Very puzzled.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you did the resets, was the monitor connected? If it wasn't, try them with it connected, and if it was, try them without being connected? Don't forget to try them multiple times, not just one time each.

OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks 'f' but its not possible to do anything if the monitor is connected as then, the monitor screen is black and the MBP is 'dead' as described above with no mouse arrow, no menu bar at the bottom and the top line is greyed.

Closing the MBP lid doesn't light up the monitor either.

I'll try multiple times.

The NVRAM reset took an absolute age. I held the five keys down the whole time. Thats right isn't it ? Most boring half an hour I've had for weeks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the MBP powered off, connect the monitor. Then try the NVRAM reset 2x (wait for gong twice, let it startup, then immediately do it again) or let the gong sound four times? Then do the same thing with the SMC, and I believe the SMC was the one that fixed my issue.

Edit:
The NVRAM reset took an absolute age. I held the five keys down the whole time. Thats right isn't it ? Most boring half an hour I've had for weeks !
No, NVRAM reset is only four key combo, Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support.

Last edited:
OP
davowolf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I was holding 'shift as well ! I'll try that. Thanks for being helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.