Apple Maps on iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
I usually use google maps but today I tried apple maps.
#1 I type in start and end locations, click on Drive and NOTHING happens
#2 there are 2 locations under the Drive/Walk boxes that have pics of cars next to them. How do I get rid of these?
Help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
#1, you have to push ENTER after you've imputed the addresses; Drive and Walk are options clicked after the fact.

#2, weird....I don't have car pics or icons.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
Thanks for the info, dotdotdot
Thinking my maps were being affected by iOS devices, i find the app even more confusing there as now I am presented with a dozen location choices without ever having typed them in. Not even going to try and figure it out.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
Simple solution - don't use Apple Maps. Honestly, years later, it's still giving me wrong directions in major metropolitan centres. And, oh, the lack of transit directions...

I know that this doesn't solve your issue but unless you have to use Apple maps, there are better options.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1. Apple Maps are not ready for prime time. I was on my way the other day to an unknown to me location in Dallas and used Apple Maps on my iPhone. The directions were so out of line, that it was virtually impossible to navigate them. I switched over to Google Maps which I also keep on my iPhone and found the address in less than 10 minutes.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many devices to list
I've got the same issue in Toronto.

Someone did a study using Apple Maps to see how many places it could locate in Ontario. It didn't do well. Not surprising since Apple even has difficulty locating major cities. To be fair, at least some of the missed locations in that list (first link) are now locatable in Apple Maps so it is getting better. Here's hoping it does improve (and get transit directions...seriously, I can't express enough how bad I want this) because I do like how tightly it is integrated into OS X and iOS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.