Apple Mail and messages, what are they and what are they for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Is it called messages or iMessages now? I've just recently upgraded to OSX el capitan and I assume that this is the replacement for ichat which I never used because no one else ever did. How useful is (i)messages? And what is the difference between this and apple mail? Also how do I change my user name on (i)messages? Because I do not like the name I must have given myself years ago on ichat.

In terms of mail I never used this when I had snow leopard either but I'm willing to give both a chance. I understand that you can place all you existing email accounts e.g. yahoo, gmail etc into this, but how useful is this? And how do you make the window size optimal as its either really small for fills the whole page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 2.7GHz Intel 12-core Xeon E5, 64GB of DDR3 Ram, 1TB PCIe SSD, Dual AMD FirePro D700s OSX EC
Relpy (idk)

iMessage is like the messages on an iPod touch or an ipad. You can send messages to and from people with iPod touches, iPhones, and iPads, as long as you have an apple id, which I assume you have. I use mail, and it is pretty useful if you don't like gmail or yahoo or whatever. They are both pretty good, but you don't have to use them

Ben

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Messages will also send to your friends who are not using IOS devices. Mail is similar to other email programs such as Thunderbird or Eudora in the old days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
iChat and iMessage were replaced by Messages. This article explains what it is better:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165409/mountain_lion_messages_replaces_ichat_gets_public_beta.html

I use message basically for text messaging and to send pictures and short videos.

Apple mail is email. You can add all your email account to it and they will be divided into their own folders so you can see which address the email was sent to. Apple mail is okay but nothing super special.

I believe all you need to do to change your user name is to edit your personal card in your contacts. Look for the user name you have now next to an AIM entry and just change it. I think that will take care of it.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.