Apple Magic vs Logitech MX: A Comparison of Keyboards With Regard to Their Use With Citrix via MacOS, As Well As Some Other Notable Issues

uncle_chopstick

Reaction score
Apple Magic vs Logitech MX: A Comparison of Keyboards With Regard to Their Use With Citrix via MacOS, As Well As Some Other Notable Issues

Recently I began thinking about buying a keyboard again. I had returned to using my Logitech MX Keys (with numpad) with my Windows system again, after a long hiatus. It reminded me of just how comfortable and quiet this keyboard is and I wondered if I should buy the MX Keys Mini, which does not have the numpad, for use with my M1 iMac. This would be my first tenkeyless and I am interested to see how much more comfortable it will be not having the mouse so far over to the right. So a keyboard that can be used with both MacOS and Windows is preferred, but not essential.

I thought this would be a relatively straightforward decision. I am also familiar with the feel of the keys on the Apple Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and numpad, this being the keyboard that was supplied with my iMac. So the choice for me was between an Apple Magic Keyboard without numpad or the MX Keys Mini, which comes in either a Mac or universal version. The main differences between these keyboards are: the feel of the keys; the Logitech MX series is backlit; and the Apple Magics have Touch ID. While I had not anticipated the extent to which I would become dependant on Touch ID, I still felt that the MX Keys Mini was worthy of consideration due to its superiority to the Apple Magic in other respects, especially the feel of its keys.

However, in the course of my research, it became apparent that there were subtle differences which might be relevant to others, so I ended up examining the key layouts of the following six keyboards:

Logitech MX Keys, full size with numpad. Comes in either universal version or Mac version (I already have the universal version).
Logitech MX Keys Mini, tenkeyless. Comes in either universal version or Mac version.
Apple Magic Keyboard with Touch ID (the one without the numpad).
Apple Magic Keyboard with Numpad and Touch ID (I have this already).

Citrix

This post is not a review, as I have no wish to regurgitate material already presented by other authors. Neither is it a comprehensive investigation. However, what I thought would be a simple decision turned out to be quite complicated, owing to the fact that I use a Windows Remote Desktop via Citrix. Within this Windows Remote Desktop, I am a heavy user of different workspaces and constantly use the shortcut provided by Microsoft to switch between them, which is Control + Windows Key. The first time I used my Logitech MX Keys with my iMac, there were no issues within MacOS as far as I could tell, but problems quickly presented themselves when I logged in to Citrix. The version of the MX Keys I have is the universal one, not the one for Mac. The shortcut to switch workspaces does not function in the usual way when using MacOS. On the Logitech MX Keys, the Windows Key is shared with the Option key, so the Windows key is not normally sent to the Windows Remote Desktop as that key is used for Option instead. There is a setting in Citrix receiver to send the Windows key, but it can only be configured to use the Command key on the right-hand side, not the left-hand side.

The Apple Magic Keyboard with Numpad and Touch ID (the fullsize one) has two complete blocks of Command, Option and Control keys, one on the left hand side and one on the right hand side. Note that all of these keys are present on both sides on this keyboard. When I looked more closely into my Logitech MX Keys, I discovered that, on the right hand side block, only the Command and Option Keys are present, not Control. The MacOS Option key is shared with the Windows Control Key. There is no way to remap this key to send a Windows Control signal to Citrix via MacOS without using third-party software.

So what's the problem? The keyboard shortcut to switch workspaces is Windows + Control Key. Citrix can only be configured to use the Command Key on the right-hand side to send the Windows key signal. So the Control key on the right-hand side needed to complete the shortcut is missing.

The Apple Magic Keyboard with numpad and the Logitech MX Keys with numpad for Mac have a Control Key on the right-hand side, allowing use of the shortcut. But the MX Keys with numpad universal version does not. Beware. If anyone tells you that there is no major difference between the Mac and universal full-size versions of the MX Keys, here is your rebuttal.

All of the tenkeyless keyboards, even the Apple Magic without the numpad, lack a Control Key on the right-hand side. The Logitech Options software can only be used to remap the function keys at the top of the keyboard, so that is of no use here. MacOS allows you to remap the function toggle key (FN) in the right-hand side block, but then the function keys cannot be used for F1-F12 as there is only one FN key. I did wonder whether the Citrix software should provide the option to use the Command key on the left-hand side to send the Windows Key signal, but I think one full set of these keys is required to run MacOS, leaving little other choice.

I was eventually forced to install the karabiner-elements keymapping software to use my existing fullsize MX Keys with Citrix. I began with attempting to remap the FN key in karabiner-elements, but no event is associated with pressing this key. I suspect it is recognised only by the keyboard firmware. I then remapped the right-hand Option key to send the Control key signal. This at least allows me to use workspace switching via my existing Logitech MX Keys with Citrix via MacOS. So that takes care of the Citrix issues.

The Insert/Emoji (or FN/Globe) Key

In addition to this, the universal MX Keys with numpad features an insert key, while the Mac MX Keys with numpad features an emoji key in that position. To my knowledge there is no Insert key signal recognised by MacOS. However, the Insert key on the MX universal version works in Windows Remote Desktop, while he emoji key does nothing.

On the Apple Magic fullsize, I have also mapped the emoji key in karabiner-elements, which recognises an event for this key. Now I can send an Insert key signal to Windows via Citrix using this keyboard, even though it still does nothing in MacOS. I can switch karabiner-elements on when using Citrix, and off when I am not.

Input-switching and Other Issues

I discovered a number of other differences between the other keyboards which might be of interest to someone looking to buy one. The main one is that all variants of the MX Keys have three input selection buttons as they can have three different Bluetooth connections. On the full-size one with numpad, three dedicated keys are provided for this above the Insert, Home and Page Up keys. No issues there. On the MX Keys Mini, the F1-F3 keys are used for this function. Although I was not able to verify it completely, I believe these three keys cannot be remapped or disabled on the MX Keys Mini, either in the Logitech Options software or in karabiner-elements. If anyone can verify whether that is the case, it would be very much appreciated. They appear to be hard-coded to the input switching function and have LEDs on them for the purpose. This could be an annoying problem if you use an iMac or MacBook. On Apple keyboards, the F1-F3 keys are used for the brightness control and the Mission Control key. They are the three most commonly used function keys for me. If I want to use an MX Keys Mini with my iMac, there would be a significant loss of functionality as the brightness control and Mission Control keys would not be available. In MacOS, the Mission Control function can also be accessed with the Control + Up Arrow shortcut, or it can be remapped somewhere else, as can the brightness controls, but it adds an element of confusion to switch.

Apart from the above, the differences were of a minor nature. On all of the MX Keys, the F4 and F5 keys are used to control the backlighting, a feature not present on the Apple Magics. On the Apple Magics these are used for Search and Dictate. The placement of the FN key differs slightly among the tenkeyless keyboards. On the Apple Magic tenkeyless, it's on the extreme left rather than combined with the emoji key for the full-size. On the MX Keys Mac Mini, it's also on the extreme left, while it is between the Control and Option/Start keys on the MX Keys universal Mini.

According to some reviews I have read, the cable provided with all universal MX Keys is a USB-A to USB-C cable, while on all Mac MX Keys it is USB-C to USB-C.

After all this, the main obstacle to making a decision about which keyboard to buy turned out to be the input-switching via the F1-F3 keys and not the interaction with Citrix, which was overcome with third-party software. The only tenkeyless keyboard out of the ones I have mentioned that would not result in any loss of functionality is the Apple Magic Keyboard with Touch ID. At AUD $209, this is the most expensive such option and it cannot easily be used with a non-MacOS system. The Logitech MX Keys Mini can be had for around AUD $140 or even less in some cases, which is a substantial difference in price and the feel of its keys is superior, in my opinion. But the issue of the F1-F3 keys just about amounts to a dealbreaker for me.

I found these differences so annoying that I have not yet decided how to proceed but I will most likely begin by trying the MX Keys Mini out with my iMac and if I can't live with it then I will have to get another Apple Magic.

I hope you have found this information useful and I do thank you for reading it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. And thank you for that long and detailed investigation & summary.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.