Apple Macbook Pro 13" Motherboard failure (Non retina)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a macbook pro 13" bought in august 2012. Unfortunately it stopped working so i have taken the product to the authorized apple re seller (sales and service) "CONQUER Technologies Visakhapatnam" in India.

On my initial visit i had to leave my laptop with them as they said it's gonna take couple of days to check what the problem was. So two days later i have called them up and was shocked to hear that the ram slots are damaged so the whole motherboard needs to be replaced which will costs around 47,000 inr (roughly 800$). Now i blame myself for handing over my laptop to them in the first instance and sadly the product is not covered under warranty.

Is there anyway of getting it done cheaper? I kindly request all the members to help me out with the best possible solution. Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Didn't you ask the repair center how the memory slots broke? I cant image how that may have just broke on its own without someone actually putting force on it.

Also, the logic board for the 13.3" MacBook Pro should only cost about $350-$500 at the most. Are they charging you $300 for labor just to install it? That sounds just a little absurd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.9GHz i7, 16GB DDR, 512GB, OSX 10.11.6
Damaged RAM slots?
Unusual. Had you been inside the machine, changing RAM or some, other work. I can't imagine how this damage would occur by itself (unless it is due to corrosion or a bad connection?) Did you ask for details of this damage?

Now i blame myself for handing over my laptop to them in the first instance and sadly the product is not covered under warranty.

Is there anyway of getting it done cheaper?

Not clear about this? Are you suggesting that they may have caused the damage?

Sadly, the only cheaper way of repairing this (assuming that their diagnosis is correct) is to change the motherboard yourself. It's still not cheap, because you will have to bear the cost of a replacement motherboard. The job isn't simple, but (despite its complexity), it's pretty straightforward. There are internet guides which will walk you through the process.

Good luck. CB

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Platinum thanks for ur message. I did asked the same question how could the memory slots broke? In response he said could be of many reasons ! Power fluctuations..laptop in sleep mode for longer time.. overheat. I guess hez not sure about the failure.
In regards to pricing I did explain to him that I can't afford to pay 47k inr ( aprx 800$) just for the repair and the discussion went for quite sometime. He finally made a conclusion that the best he could do is to trade in my laptop for 12k inr ( 200 $ ) :-(

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi cowbrain thanks for ur message. I've never had a problem with my mac and this was the first failure interms of hardware. To be honest I don't blame them on a full extent but yes I had a little doubt that they might have caused the damaged.
They tried to convince me to trade in my macbook for just 12k inr (200$) and pay the rest of the amount to buy a new mac. The ram , battery, hardisk and the display (without a scratch) works perfect and I asume it is worth more than 200$ .

Reaction score
I assure you there is no way that the memory slot will break on its own (maybe under very extreme conditions, hot/cold/antifreeze or something, lol). The only way the Memory Slot on the board could break is if someone bends it a little too much when trying to remove the memory. Im not telling you this to cause problems with the repair shop you went to, im just telling you so you know what the truth of the matter is.

The repair shop probably by accident broke it, and now they should take responsibility for their actions (as all reputable businesses would do).

BEFORE deciding to do the trade, did you try finding logic boards for your machine on eBay? I was searching yesterday and actually found a few for the $350-$400.

Good luck, hope you can get them to accept their mistake and fix it for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.