Apple Mac Pro A1186 Power Issue

Reaction score
Just bought a used Apple Mac Pro A1186. When I plug in the power cable, the power automatically comes on w/o pushing the power button. If I leave the power cable plugged up it starts up/shuts down fine. Have tried SMC reset. Don't have Apple OS yet (using Ubuntu for testing). Otherwise the computer seems to work fine. Any thoughts please? Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
G
Reaction score
Further info

I noticed that the power supply makes a "clicking" sound when the power cord is plugged in and unplugged. I suspect that this is a relay. I took the (4) power supply outputs loose and the problem went away when I left the bottom most connector loose. I then traced that out to a connector on the MB under the DIMM slots. When I leave that connector loose the power supply does not click when the plug is inserted. I pressed the diagnostic button on the MB and the "trickle" LED is fine (orange) and the "Power" LED is fine (green). Must be a problem with the MB itself.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I noticed that the power supply makes a "clicking" sound when the power cord is plugged in and unplugged. I suspect that this is a relay.

I think that the clicking sound is normal when it is unplugged & plugged in. If the clicking continued without unplugging…then I would suspect the power supply.

The computer should not power on when plugging in the power cord (without pushing the power button). Again…it could be something to do with the power button. This is the obvious first thing to check.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
G
Reaction score
Problem went away after installing Snow Leopard OS (disabled option for "startup automatically after a power failure"). Last user before me probably had that checked and it wrote it to BIOS. Thanks to all who responded and tried to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is good however you will learn there are no BIOS in any Mac, just EFI.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.