• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple launches iTunes Plus

M

MacHeadCase

Apple Launches iTunes Plus:

Higher Quality DRM-Free Tracks Now Available on the iTunes Store Worldwide

Apple® today launched iTunes® Plus—DRM-free music tracks featuring high quality 256 kbps AAC encoding for audio quality virtually indistinguishable from the original recordings—for just $1.29 per song. iTunes Plus is launching with EMI’s digital catalog of outstanding recordings, including singles and albums from Coldplay, The Rolling Stones, Norah Jones, Frank Sinatra, Joss Stone, Pink Floyd, John Coltrane and more than a dozen of Paul McCartney’s classic albums available on iTunes for the first time.

iTunes will continue to offer its entire catalog, currently over five million songs, in the same versions as today—128 kbps AAC encoding with DRM—at the same price of 99 cents per song, alongside the higher quality iTunes Plus versions when available. In addition, iTunes customers can now easily upgrade their library of previously purchased EMI content to iTunes Plus tracks for just 30 cents a song and $3.00 for most albums. ...

And was also launched iTunes U:

Apple® today announced the launch of iTunes® U, a dedicated area within the iTunes Store (www.itunes.com) featuring free content such as course lectures, language lessons, lab demonstrations, sports highlights and campus tours provided by top US colleges and universities including Stanford University, UC Berkeley, Duke University and MIT.

“iTunes U makes it easy for anyone to access amazing educational material from many of the country’s most respected colleges and universities,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of iTunes. “Education is a lifelong pursuit and we’re pleased to give everyone the ability to download lectures, speeches and other academic content for free.” ...

The change has now begun. :)

Edited to add:

Forgot to add that you will need iTunes 7.2 for Mac to get the benefits of iTunes Plus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
oooh I smell blog entry material! :D (Funny, I was just talking about posting a note about this here like 3 minutes ago...darn you MHC...always beating me to stuff! ;) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea yea...my sonic screwdriver is cooler than your headset! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well I just spent 22€ on iTunes Plus songs... there was no way I was going to buy instrumental stuff (Penguin Cafe Orchestra) at 128K...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 120gb HD, 2.0ghz, 1gb Ram.
Very very interesting.

Nice move from apple. Im interesting to see how this Itunes U works out.

Reaction score
How much of an improvement in sound would you see comparing 128kbps to 256kbps?

Reaction score
iTunes Plus, and iTunes U! Sounds neat!

I'm not a sound guru by any means, and I definitely have bad ears, and can't hear distortion, but my brother is a quality nut; he will probably love this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

After listening here at the office, there is a distinct difference. It's like peeling back a couple layers of a muting film across the sound. Things are definitely clearer...but then I have good ears for music. I'm sure it'll sound totally different on stereo systems optimized for music.

Reaction score
I've just given the samples in the iTunes Store a try. There's quite a striking improvement in clarity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a fair difference... but the 128K stuff wasn't that bad either.

I find you notice it particularly when listening to drum kits (the cymbals sometimes sound a bit distorted) or vocals (again, occasional distortion on female vocalists).

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Yep I had a listen last night to some of the new tracks and sound came out more separated then the previous versions on my Altec Lansing speakers.

Apt, you are right in saying the previous versions aren't too bad though. Just that this latest iTunes Music Store offering sounds roomier, more 3D like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
The difference in quality of sound on my iPod can be heard. I purchased an album by Corinne Bailey Rae, the clarity is really noticeable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
faster?

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the iTunes store seems a lot faster now too. Pages load quicker and downloads are much faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually the album I bought (containing around 25 songs) wouldn't download at all for the first 2 days.

I think the store was seriously overloaded, so they must have added quite a bit of bandwidth and servers to deal with the additional load.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Actually the album I bought (containing around 25 songs) wouldn't download at all for the first 2 days.

I think the store was seriously overloaded, so they must have added quite a bit of bandwidth and servers to deal with the additional load.

I was going to mention the same thing. For the first day or two it kept telling me that it couldn't find the file or the song, but wouldn't tell me why or what file/song. And I was only upgrading one album and maybe 11 individual songs (cost me $6 in the end). However it finally worked over on Sunday, so I'd agree with the overloaded site or possibly some bugs that they had to work out.

I read some articles mentioning comparisons in the sound quality, and for the most part it sort of seemed like it didn't make a big difference. Although strangely the iPods sounded better with the earphones that came with them compared to a nice set of earphones that the review was also testing with. I have yet to play them though anything but my MBP's speakers so I can't comment personally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You're likely right. I had a hard time accessing info there on Friday, so I'm waiting til tonight to get some of the stuff there i want on itunes plus. Most notably that Beach Boys album...30 songs for $13 :D

("Wouldn't it be nice" is one of the songs of theirs I love now...one of the first movies my soon-to-be fiancee and I saw together was 50 First Dates...and it resonated in that movie and is a part of our relationship now...go figure. :))

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.