• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple iPhone 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chas_m

No. These articles are just speculation and computer CGI imaginings, not based on any actual information. The next iPhone will probably be released in October, but the odd-year iPhone releases have traditionally been called the "s" model, as in iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5s.

Should Apple stick to that, the next iPhones are likely to be called the iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6s Plus.

What the features of that future iPhone will be, nobody outside Apple actually knows.

Reaction score
off topic but I wish they'd can the S range. It's clearly just a way to cash out before they release another model

C

chas_m

off topic but I wish they'd can the S range. It's clearly just a way to cash out before they release another model

Not really, no.

The iPhone designs cost Apple millions ... But they're supposed to throw all that hard work away after a year?!

In point of fact, the "S" models are actually the ones the savvy users buy. They fix any hardware flaws Apple had in the "1.0" of the new phone design, add features, often add new hardware like better cameras. The 5S introduced Touch ID, which is a LIFE CHANGER ... wasn't on the 5 ...

Reaction score
Not really, no.

The iPhone designs cost Apple millions ... But they're supposed to throw all that hard work away after a year?!

In point of fact, the "S" models are actually the ones the savvy users buy. They fix any hardware flaws Apple had in the "1.0" of the new phone design, add features, often add new hardware like better cameras. The 5S introduced Touch ID, which is a LIFE CHANGER ... wasn't on the 5 ...

The touch ID is massively helpful, I'll give you that. It doesn't affect me because my upgrade cycle falls around the time the 1.0 is released, I'd just hate to get the same hardware a year late. But then I am hopelessly shallow and just want new toys :Blushing:, a slightly improved camera really doesn't bother me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The touch ID is massively helpful, I'll give you that. It doesn't affect me because my upgrade cycle falls around the time the 1.0 is released, I'd just hate to get the same hardware a year late. But then I am hopelessly shallow and just want new toys :Blushing:, a slightly improved camera really doesn't bother me

Same hardware? In the 's' model vs the prior? Ahahahahahahahahahahahah..... that's so misinformed it's not even funny. No wait, it is funny. Ahahahahahahahahahahahah! The only thing that is consistent is the form factor and maybe the screen. Everything else gets improved, usually significantly.

EDIT: Take a look at the benchmarks for the iPhone 5S vs the prior models. If you try to tell me that's the same hardware as the iPhone 5, I'm going to have you committed to an asylum.
Benchmarks: iPhone 5s lives up to the hype | Macworld

Last edited:
C

chas_m

ruellesmith said:
But the article might also be true on some cases. I hope Apple won't make iPhone 7 or iPhone 6s "incredible thinner" as it is more susceptible to bending damage just like iPhone 6.

Every indication we have is that the iPhone 6s and 6s plus will look identical on the outside to the present model ... Exactly as every previous alternate-year model has sine the iPhone 4. "Bendgate" turned out to be mostly malarkey-- when was the last time we saw a post about a bent iPhone 6 in this forum?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
"Bengate" was a farce. I carry my iPhone 6+ in my back pocket all the time. I have a very light leather case on it and I sit on the phone all the time. It is as flat as the day I got it almost 10 months now.

If you grab any phone and apply enough pressure you can get it to bend at it's weakest point. Those that did the bend test on the iPhone 6+ were ridiculous. They exceeded more than reasonable stress on the phone then screamed, "Look! it bends!" Ya think! What ever.... The iPhone 6+ is a tough little thin sucker. I have been very pleased with how it has stood up to everyday use.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reliable sources indicate that the next iPhone will be a 6s and 6s+. You might see an iPhone 7 sometime late 2016.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 500gb
I have always upgraded on the "s" models. If anything it's a spec upgrade which is what I always figured the s stands for. There are only so many great new features they can bring to the smart phone year after year but a faster processor and more memory is a worthwhile effort to put into an already successful product. Apple is not "cashing out" at anyone's' expense.

Reaction score
Here's a novel approach...

How about Apple stop messing with the camera, iOS, processor, and gimmicks and just give us this:

A PHONE THAT CAN BE DROPPED WITHOUT SHATTERING

&

WATERPROOF SO I DONT NEED A OBNOXIOUS LIFEPROOF CASE

The camera is good enough. We got plenty of good apps (as long as their is a calculator app, Im good). iOS doesnt need tweaking. Web browsing is fine. Apple Pay is nice. Passbook is cool. iTunes is iTunes. Now just fix the 2 issues that Apple shouldve addressed years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Here's a novel approach...

How about Apple stop messing with the camera, iOS, processor, and gimmicks and just give us this:

&

WATERPROOF SO I DONT NEED A OBNOXIOUS LIFEPROOF CASE

The camera is good enough. We got plenty of good apps (as long as their is a calculator app, Im good). iOS doesnt need tweaking. Web browsing is fine. Apple Pay is nice. Passbook is cool. iTunes is iTunes. Now just fix the 2 issues that Apple shouldve addressed years ago.

Please tell us what other electronic devices you've seen that are truly waterproof and oh also ANYTHING out there that doesn't break when dropped on the floor that isn't a piece of wood or something like that.

How about looking at the devices for what they are and making smart posts about it?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

Perhaps you just have bad luck but I've dropped both my iPhone and iPad, particularly the former, numerous times on concrete and aside from a few dings, there isn't a scratch on them. The glass backed iPhones on the other hand do crack easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.