Apple iPhone 12 set up instructions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 inch iMac - Ventura. iPhones 8 and MacBook Air - Catalina.
Hi everyone, I have just updated my iPhone from an old iPhone 8 that is starting to play up. Financial circumstances are becoming scarce since Mavis was moved into a Nursing Home. The filthy lucre (money) has become a strange content in my wallet, what a poor old man that you have become. Sometimes I give it a reward for being so regular in its habit of staying empty. My eyesight is not the best as I suffer from Macular Degeneration, nothing looks straight to me; as well as short sightedness, yet gain- you poor old man. I ask if someone could point me in the right direction as to where I can get a more amiable set of 'distructions' please? I have looked on 'tinternet' but it all sounds so complicated. my son in law is supposed to be coming to assist me but more often than not he tends to forget. "You poor young man"!
I think I have read that if you hold or place the old phone close enough the transfer of information will be transferred using the wifi if switched on on both pieces of equipment; now that sounds like cloud wonderland to me!!! AS well as the miss managed information etc being passed across--- yes or no on that one please.

Best regards to one and all from Keith in Derby England.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Hi everyone, I have just updated my iPhone from an old iPhone 8 that is starting to play up. Financial circumstances are becoming scarce since Mavis was moved into a Nursing Home. The filthy lucre (money) has become a strange content in my wallet, what a poor old man that you have become. Sometimes I give it a reward for being so regular in its habit of staying empty. My eyesight is not the best as I suffer from Macular Degeneration, nothing looks straight to me; as well as short sightedness, yet gain- you poor old man. I ask if someone could point me in the right direction as to where I can get a more amiable set of 'distructions' please? I have looked on 'tinternet' but it all sounds so complicated. my son in law is supposed to be coming to assist me but more often than not he tends to forget. "You poor young man"!
I think I have read that if you hold or place the old phone close enough the transfer of information will be transferred using the wifi if switched on on both pieces of equipment; now that sounds like cloud wonderland to me!!! AS well as the miss managed information etc being passed across--- yes or no on that one please.

Best regards to one and all from Keith in Derby England.
With your new phone it will ask you some questions, including transfer from an old phone, when you answer yes, then you just follow the instructions, very simple and straight forward, I have done it twice now without issue.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good afternoon, Keith

Here are three links about transferring data etc from old iPhone to iPhone 12. One of these covers transferring without iCloud just in case you don't have or use iCloud.

The others are self-explanatory.

Please do let us know how you get on. Acquiring a new iPhone is always a joy and I hope you enjoy the 12.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Even your forgetful son in law can handle this. :)

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good afternoon Ian, nice to see you again and I hope things your way are alright? I still battle on but still not feeling up to it right now as I had a very bad night's sleep (if any at all). I will get down to it in good time given the attitude to GET IT DONE! Will keep you informed.
Best regards from Keith in Derby England

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slydude, hello to you and yours, I hope all is well your way? I am not good today as sleep seemed too far away to get hold of it, I do not think I had a single wink all night! Such is life for the afflicted. Stay cool young man see you again soon. I might not need my irate son in law if all goes well some time tomorrow (i hope).
Regards from Keith in Derby England.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All is well here my friend. Like you, I've experienced some sleep issues lately so I know what's that's like. I absolutely must keep in touch with anyone that insists on referring to me as "young man".

You'll have the new phone up and running before the son in law knows what happened.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good morning Slydude, yet again I have given up on getting any sleep tonight!! I have been awake since 02.00hrs, I must have had at least three hours sleep. That is a magnificent increase in the past few nights. I have not got a clue as to why I cannot get a good night asleep for about six or seven hours. Without sleep I feel only half 'with it' and do not seem to bd able to concentrate on any thing for very long. Any way enough about me Sly how are you and the rest of your family? It seems a long time since we spoke to each other, it must be at least 18 months. I say that because so much bad has happened in that time, I had a bad fall outside our front door, completely unconscious for the Lord knows how long. I was carted off to hospital on August 9th 2023 and was in there until about September 11th. I had lots of MRI scans of which I only remember one of the trips to the scanner. in the meantime Mavis had been suffering from dementia since around March and has not shown any signs of recovery. From that time until I fell outside I hardly ever got into my bed but dozed in my recliner arm chair. I now live alone and see one of my step daughters twice a week, the other one is not well at all and the family is awaiting the result of a biopsy to find out what the lump in her throat actually is, benign or not.
Taking all into account the whole family has had it a bit rough the last 18 moths. That, Sly, just about brings you up to speed on things this way and I am sorry to be such a pain in the rear end!!! hope to speak again soon. Apologies to all for being so boring. Very best regards Sly, just keep your family as happy as you can, they are very precious.
Regards to all from that boring old F**t Keith in Derby England.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully things have settled a bit for you. It has been a rough several months for you. Now that I'm retired we should find a convenient time to do a FaceTime call regularly.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Sly, it would be very nice to contact via FaceTime, not that I have ever used it but, it cannot be difficult but, that depends on the amount of sleep I have had that night; then we have the time difference to take into account. Have you any idea on how long it takes to transfer info from the old phone to the new one? Mine has been doing so for at least half an hour!

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sly, would the contacts be on here or via the Apple phones?
regards Keith in Derby England.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought we had done a call or two some time ago but perhaps I am wrong about that. I'm sure we can figure something out. My contact is on here and may be on your phone as well if I'm right that you and I did a call or two.

The amount of time needed to complete that transfer depends upon how much information needs to be transferred and the speed of your connection. It shouldn't take much longer.

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I cannot be sure either Sly, I am not sure which would be best, iPhone or Mac Forums! Have used FaceTime on local calls to grand daughter and family, but that is all really. That being so I leave the decision up to you, that is called delegation of responsibility!!!
Keith in Derby England

OP
sllewk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello, Thanks to all who took the trouble to reply to my post about setting up my new Apple iPhone12. I did not get a lot of sleep last night so I got out of bed very early, had a shower, got dressed and had some breakfast. I then set out my stall and got the new iPhone on charge etc. When it reached over 50% charge I started on the task of transferring all my data. It took about 2 hours and now my iPhone 12 is up and running. I can contact my son in law and inform him, rather smugly, that I have done it myself thank you very much! I have discovered there are slight differences between the 12 and the 8, it will take a bit of getting used to but given time I am sure it will be a much better phone than the old 8. Once again Thank you all who took the trouble to give much needed advice.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It took about 2 hours and now my iPhone 12 is up and running. I can contact my son in law and inform him, rather smugly, that I have done it myself thank you very much! I have discovered there are slight differences between the 12 and the 8, it will take a bit of getting used to but given time I am sure it will be a much better phone than the old 8.
Excellent. I knew you could do it. It won't be long before you will have that iPhone 12 working just the way you want it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well done you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.