• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple intros 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pros with display notches, M1 Pro, and M1 Max

Reaction score
The new MacBook Pro.

Enlarge / The new MacBook Pro. (credit: Apple)

Nearly a year after announcing the first, low-end M1 Macs last November, Apple has finally unveiled its higher-end Macs. New 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models will include the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips, faster successors that build upon the foundation of the original M1, as well as more ports, and a slight redesign. This marks the most significant change to the MacBook Pro since the Touch Bar was introduced back in 2016.

Both MacBook Pro models will be available for ordering today, and they'll begin shipping next week. The 14-inch model starts at $1999, which will get you a version of the M1 Pro with an 8-core CPU and 14-core GPU, 16 GB of RAM, and 512 GB of storage. The 16-inch model will start at $2,499, which includes the full version of the M1 Pro with a 10-core CPU and 16-core GPU, 16 GB of RAM, and 512 GB of storage. Color options remain relatively staid: you can get silver or space gray, but not the rainbow of color options you get with the 24-inch iMac.

The 16-inch MacBook Pro uses a 16.2-inch display with a 3456×2234 pixel resolution, while the 14-inch model uses a 14.2-inch display with a 3456×2234 resolution. Both screens use mini LED backlighting and slimmer bezels almost all the way around the screen, albeit at the expense of an iPhone-style display notch at the top of the screen for the improved 1080p webcam. Both screens also support Apple's ProMotion feature, increasing the typical 60 Hz refresh rate up to a smoother 120 Hz.

Read 7 remaining paragraphs | Comments

Click here to view the article...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Uuuugh,,, that notch!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The notch reportedly (from Apple) gets blacked out when applications go full screen. Plus the top menu bar area has been made wider.

Still annoying though.

Reaction score
1 minute 29 seconds in. Have feet been re-designed? They look flatter and possibly have metal surrounding placeholder? If my eyes do not deceive me, this is a definite (but admittedly small) improvement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I missed the tidbit that they brought back MagSafe. I'm rather jealous now. I would have liked to have that back for my M1 MBA.

Reaction score
I ordered the 16” with 16gb ram and 1tb storage the same day of the announcement and it shows delivery date range from Nov 2-9. After looking at the emailed order details today, it looks like they only listed the usbc power adapter and no mention of a magsafe.

I do remember seeing an option to add a MagSafe to usbc cable for an additional price but ignored it thinking it should be included since that seems to be an important selling point of this device. I hope it’s included 🤞

Code:
 16-inch MacBook Pro - Space Gray
With the following configuration:
Apple M1 Pro with 10-core CPU, 16-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
16-inch Liquid Retina XDR display
Three Thunderbolt 4 ports, HDMI port, SDXC card slot, MagSafe 3 port
140W USB-C Power Adapter
Backlit Magic Keyboard with Touch ID - US English
Accessory Kit

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

This from Apple: "Anyone purchasing a new 16-inch Macbook Pro will get a 140W USB-C charger plus the 2-meter USB-C to MagSafe 3 cable."

Have fun with your new MacBook Pro and let us know how you like it.

Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

This from Apple: "Anyone purchasing a new 16-inch Macbook Pro will get a 140W USB-C charger plus the 2-meter USB-C to MagSafe 3 cable."

Have fun with your new MacBook Pro and let us know how you like it.

Thanks for looking that up. I’m actually not a new member, have been lurking around but with a different email (for more than 20 yrs?). Not sure if I posted anything using that account though.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for looking that up. I’m actually not a new member, have been lurking around but with a different email (for more than 20 yrs?). Not sure if I posted anything using that account though.

Not a problem. Our data base shows your current info as correct. We are not going to worry about any old accounts you may have had.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
It mentions the MagSafe 3 port, with the other ports.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.