Apple ID

Reaction score
Can someone help with changing /recovering my apple password totally forgot mine when I tried to get a new one there was a problem in that every forward click I made I kept getting asked for my apple id and password until in the end I am now locked out. Could I enter a new id and password to bypass this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
No. If you create a new AppleID, that will be a separate account. Apple doesn't know your password, so they cannot help either. Basically, unless you can remember the password, that AppleID is dead. The impact to you will be that the purchases you made with that account won't be available to the new account unless you buy them again.

OK, that said, there is a slim possibility that Safari may have stored the AppleID, if you ever logged into it in Safari, in the passwords. To see if it's there, start Safari, then open Safari Preferences from the top bar and go to the Passwords tab. You'll have to enter your login password for the Mac at that point (assuming you are an admin), and the list of stored passwords will be visible. You can search for "Apple" in the search box and whatever you have used to log into Apple that Safari is aware of should appear.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Could I enter a new id and password to bypass this.

As Jake pointed out, your current Apple ID is now pretty much non functional without the password. You can try what Jake suggested to see if the Keychain thru Safari may have retained the password for you.

Rather than creating a new Apple ID and password, I recommend contacting Apple Support and ask to recover your Apple ID by assigning a new password for it. In other words "a forgotten password". Apple will need to identify you and it will take some time before they can get you going again.

Creating a new Apple ID will be just as Jake stated:

The impact to you will be that the purchases you made with that account won't be available to the new account unless you buy them again.

That can be a real pain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
No. If you create a new AppleID, that will be a separate account. Apple doesn't know your password, so they cannot help either. Basically, unless you can remember the password, that AppleID is dead. The impact to you will be that the purchases you made with that account won't be available to the new account unless you buy them again.

OK, that said, there is a slim possibility that Safari may have stored the AppleID, if you ever logged into it in Safari, in the passwords. To see if it's there, start Safari, then open Safari Preferences from the top bar and go to the Passwords tab. You'll have to enter your login password for the Mac at that point (assuming you are an admin), and the list of stored passwords will be visible. You can search for "Apple" in the search box and whatever you have used to log into Apple that Safari is aware of should appear.

Great advice as usual Jake - don't know 'how slim' the chance may be, but my Apple ID and its PW is indeed in my keychain in Safari (and of course stored elsewhere) - hope that our OP is 'lucky' - (y) Dave

OP
R
Reaction score
thanks, guys I will have to contact apple support, tried the Safari preferences and key chain but no luck.

OP
R
Reaction score
Contacted Apple and reset my p/w so easy, the route they showed there is no need to contact apple if I need to change my apple id/pw.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Contacted Apple and reset my p/w so easy, the route they showed there is no need to contact apple if I need to change my apple id/pw.

Password reset is not complicated once Apple identifies you (as you found out). And yes, if you know your old Apple ID password, changing it is no problem. It's when you forget the old password is where it gets sticky.

Anyway, glad to hear you're back up running again. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.