Apple flat rate repair?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac/iPhone/iPad/MacBook Pro
I have an offer through a local authorized repair shop, to send in my water damaged Mac Book Pro for a flat fee of $920. Has anyone done this? Or heard of how good this is?
Thanks ahead

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that the more important part is…is the current value of your MacBook Pro worth paying $920 to get it fixed?

You didn't mention what model it is…so hard to say with the info given.

Also…where are you located? Mac-Forums is a worldwide forum…so this opportunity may make more sense (or not) depending where you are located.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for that, I just got signed up here. It is a late 2012 13" Retina with 512GB flash drive. Looking at refurbs in a few places, A similar machine will run $1100 or more. I am in Oregon USA.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My opinion: Sell it for parts, or as is, on eBay and use the money to buy a refurbished rMBP from Apple. The $920 fee is likely for a new logic board, labor, and maybe some other parts. Anyway, my personal feeling is once it was doused and suffered water damage, who knows what will go wrong with it in the future even after Apple repairs it. It's up to you though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for that, I just got signed up here. It is a late 2012 13" Retina with 512GB flash drive. Looking at refurbs in a few places, A similar machine will run $1100 or more. I am in Oregon USA.

I think that you answered the question. Not a great idea to spend $920 on a busted computer when another one can be had for $1100. Yes...spending $920 is less than $1100.

But the #1 reason is...who really knows if EVERY problem with the liquid damaged computer will REALLY be solved with the $920 that is spent. Maybe 6 months laster something else pops up. And if you get a refurb....maybe it comes with a warranty.

Although...when someone calls a computer they're selling a refurb (individual or business)...I'm pretty skeptical exactly what their refurb. process is. With Apple refurbs...everything is like new...and Apple gives you 12 months of automatic Applecare to back it up.:)

- Nick

p.s. Plus like chscag mentioned. If you sell the busted computer...whatever you sell it for can offset some of the $1100 cost!:)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks for your help, I seem to have two threads going on this laptop. I am watching an umber of similar machine on Ebay with water damage. Anyone have a ball park $ on what my water damaged 512 gb flashdrive retina machine might bring?
Working to go that way. Sell this off, go new or refurb from apple.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone have a ball park $ on what my water damaged 512 gb flashdrive retina machine might bring?

No idea. It's really an unknown. If we're talking eBay…just depends who's bidding, what parts they need, and how much they are willing to go.

- Nick

Reaction score
It will also depend on what the water actually damaged. I've come across three Retina 15" models with liquid damage, and successfully resuscitated two of them. One would not POST; all I did was open it up, unplug the battery, wait a minute, plug it in, and it came up and runs fine. One had the trackpad go bad, but worked otherwise. I ended up tearing it apart (literally, since they glue the batteries to a plate under the trackpad) and replacing it with the trackpad from the third Retina (which had logic board damage and was not recoverable).

If you can determine the damage and how fixable it actually is, you can try to get more for it. If you know the logic board and storage are good you can leverage those. The flash storage is replaceable so anyone with your model type Retina with 256GB may be ripe for an upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.