Apple External Super Drive not compatible???

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Last week i had a strange experience. I had a client come to me with a new MBP and an external USB Super Drive. She had a DVD stuck in the drive but this is not what surprised me. What surprised me was that when I plugged the Super Drive into my mid 2012 MBP I received a dialogue box stating it was incompatible with my computer. Naturally I was a little shaken, I had always assumed that if my internal Super Drive ever broke I could simply buy an external but I may have been mistaken. What is Apple up to?

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Last week i had a strange experience. I had a client come to me with a new MBP and an external USB Super Drive. She had a DVD stuck in the drive but this is not what surprised me. What surprised me was that when I plugged the Super Drive into my mid 2012 MBP I received a dialogue box stating it was incompatible with my computer. Naturally I was a little shaken, I had always assumed that if my internal Super Drive ever broke I could simply buy an external but I may have been mistaken. What is Apple up to?

Rod,

Didn't I kind of suggest this in the other thread that we were discussing this superdrive issue?:;)

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/320692-load-new-air-mavericks-3.html#post1636248

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I have done a little homework and this is what I found;

How to use an external USB Apple SuperDrive on a Macbook Pro running Mountain Lion - vmware adminsvmware admins

I assume it is a similar process for Yosemite but why has Apple made it so difficult? :Angry:

Rod,

As I mentiioned earlier. Some of these superdrives (Apple's external superdrive and I guess some 3rd party superdrives)...are only compatible with certain newer model Mac's (those that did not come with superdrives):

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive

The link you listed is a "hack" to get these super drives to work with models are not compatable with Apple's external superdrive.

- Nick

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
agreed Nick, this article uses the command line and takes into account users of Trim Enabler; How to make the MacBook Air SuperDrive work with any Mac | luz' blog
So at least it is possible to do in a "proper" way I'm just a little surprise that there appears to be no information on the device or packaging to let buyers know that the USB Superdrive straight out of the box is not compatible with a MacBook that has/had an internal SuperDrive. Where is the info from Apple on how to Setup for an older laptop? Why should users be forced to scour the web for third party hacks?
Still I accept this is really an issue related to the OS and I fear that even if the above solution is applied it may well be overwritten during an OS upgrade. Meaning we would have to repeat the whole process.
I'll stick with my Sony.

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be fair to Apple there may be other models available and thanks Nick I did read your link and the specks quite clearly omit models with a built in Superdrive but like myself I think a lot of buyers might just assume it will work with their MBP. I suppose thats what salesmen are for (assuming they know), you need to ask first.
Whats the old saying? "When you assume you make an *** of you and me.":Mischievous: Hm, perhaps the site will accept ****? Nope, how about bottom?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So at least it is possible to do in a "proper" way I'm just a little surprise that there appears to be no information on the device or packaging to let buyers know that the USB Superdrive straight out of the box is not compatible with a MacBook that has/had an internal SuperDrive.

Here is the product information at the Apple Online Store:

Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple Store (U.S.)

The System Requirements section clearly list which computers the Apple external Superdrive is compatible with:

Compatible with the following computers:

MacBook Pro with Retina display
MacBook Air
iMac (late 2012) and later
Mac mini (late 2009) and later
Mac Pro (late 2013)

Where is the info from Apple on how to Setup for an older laptop? Why should users be forced to scour the web for third party hacks?

Think what you're asking here Rod. Why would Apple tell people how to "hack" one of their products to be compatible with computer models that they didn't design the external superdrive to be compatible with??;)

I think that the logic is...these external superdrives are an option for folks who purchased an Apple computer without a bultin optical drive...and need an optical drive. Remember...some folks were not very happy when Apple eliminated the internal superdrive from various models (MacBook Pro's, iMac's, etc.). So this is an optical drive option for them.:)

These external optical drives were NOT MEANT to be used by folks who have an Apple computer with a builtin optical drive. Sure...I realize that the internal slot-loading Superdrives can & do fail. And that one of these Apple external Superdrives would be a nice solution when this happens. But I guess Apple didn't design the external superdrive for this purpose.

I agree with you Rod.:) I'm not sure what the advantage is for Apple making these external superdrives only compatible with some models. If they made them compatible with all models...then they would probably sell more of them.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...but like myself I think a lot of buyers might just assume it will work with their MBP.

Hey Rod...count me as one of these people!;)

A couple of years ago when I first saw them listed on my local Craig's List (used) for 50% of the new price...I almost bought one. I had/have a 2009 iMac with a busted internal optical drive...so I was looking for a solution. But then at the last minute before I bought one...I found out that they were only compatible with certain models (none of which I owned). So then I didn't buy one.

So until I knew that the Apple external superdrive was only compatible with some models...I was almost fooled/tricked/confused as well!;)

- Nick

OP
Rod

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, I suppose this is a developmental decision made at board level regarding the direction development and design should go. I am perhapses a bit of an old "fuddy duddy' to think that development would go in any other direction than how can we cut the cost of our product to increase profit margins. Especially when size and weight becomes an issue as well.
Personally I think it's a bit of a pity when those decisions limit the flexibility and options of a product. For example I was amazed when my son told me that his new MBP didn't have an ethernet port. How does one setup a new WiFi Router without an ethernet connection? Gone also are the Security Lock slot, the sound in, S-Video and Mini DVI. I'm not sure about the SD Card reader (I still have one on mine). I also mourn the loss of Fire Wire as I still have an external AC powered 500 Gb Fire Wire drive now useless but I suppose that's progress.
It is the way of things though, multi directional ports and reduction of types and versions limits our choices and forces us to update or replace old technology.
We just bought a new TV recently and I was surprised to find there were no sound out ports.
How then would I connect it to a theatre surround sound system? Why with the optical digital sound in/out cable connection. No RCA jacks at all. Progress or planned obsolescence who knows? So when people ask me should I just buy a new MBP to replace my ailing old one I say no, not until you have to, if it can be repaired and upgraded back it up an keep it working as long as you can.
One of the advertised features of the 2006 MBP was easy access to replace RAM chips and HD.
Where has user serviceability gone? Well I suppose it's gone the way of all things. Progress means change but sometimes we sacrifice options in a push to reduce size weight and manufacturing costs. If these motivators meant reduced prices to the end user I would be in favour wholeheartedly but no. When the iPhone C was rumoured to be coming many joked that it stood for cheap as apposed to coloured, unfortunately although slightly cheaper it was not much.
Ah well enough whining from me. I love what I've got I just hope I dont have to buy a new one any time soon or I may have to build it myself.;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rod. Maybe you know…I've been using Mac's since the 1980's…so I hear ya & understand where you are coming from!:)

I'm not necessarily trying to defend Apple or anything. But imagine you're an 18-22 year-old college student without all of the computer experience, computer habits, and computer equipment you have accumulated over the years.

As an 18-22 year-old college student you may not know what:

- an ethernet port is (or if you did...have much use for it)
- rarely use RCA jacks (why would I need to...all my music & video is digital or I'll "stream" it from the intent via WiFi)
- what the heck is "S-Video";)
- never used a computer that didn't have WiFi
- have no need for an optical drive (why would I want to carry around all those disks)…I store my stuff on the "Cloud"…or I use USB drives of all sorts.

If Apple is about anything…it's change. Apple has pretty much never been too fearful of trying & doing different things…and doing these things before the competition. Sometimes things work out & Apple is the industry leader…and sometimes the changes are a big flop (and we Apple users are the Guinea Pigs)!

If someone has used Windows computers for a long time. They can grab a 2014/2015 Windows computer (laptop or desktop)…and get a nice-warm fuzzy feeling that not much has changed. It feels like the 1990's all over again!;) Optical drives…VGA ports…etc.

I think that there are positives & negatives with "both systems" or philosophies.

- Apple many times is zooming ahead with change causing all sorts of chaos!:Confused: But also many times introducing many many cool things (that the Windows world has adopted as well).:) But as I mentioned above. Sometimes these things are a great big flop…and we Apple users are the Guinea Pigs.

- While Windows platforms inch-forward with change (seemingly reluctantly many times with a "boat anchor" in tow).;) Not making too much change or incorporating much "new stuff" that isn't "tried & true". But on the positive side...rarely does the Windows World very quickly "orphan" new hardware just years after it is introduced. You pretty much know that if you buy something Windows related…you'll be able to use it for a fair number of years before it is obsolete. "If it ain't broke…don't fix it."…I think would be a great way of describing how things work with Windows hardware.;)

* Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.