Apple external CD drive compatibility with PC?

Reaction score
I am faced with having to purchase and run a Windows-only program. The choices seem to be: 1) run Bootcamp on my new iMac (16GB ram) (I have a single-user edition of Windows 7 Home Premium I can install -- I think); or, 2) buy an inexpensive PC (e.g., Ansus 15.6-Inch Intel Dual Core Celeron 2.16 Ghz Laptop, 4GB RAM and 500GB Hard Drive). With the latter, I'd have to use an external drive to load the CD software program. I have a new Apple external USB drive. Will the Apple drive work for that purpose? What does the community think of the choices and which way I should go on this? (Not sure the small amount of memory is an issue, but I suspect that 4 GB should be okay.) Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You forgot one option: Use virtual software = VirtualBox (free from Oracle), Parallels, VMWare Fusion. I recommend using VirtualBox since it's free and especially since you only have one Windows program to run. Virtual software may be best since you don't have to reboot as you would with a Boot Camp dual boot, or spend unnecessary dollars on a PC.

Which Windows only program are you planning on buying as that can make a difference in choices.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. The software is a program designed for NY lawyers/law practices geared to Family Law and Divorce. It's one of those where you input vital information (identification info, financials, personal = kids, ages, etc), and it creates forms, pleadings, and net worth statements). In sum, it's unlikely to be anything you're familiar with, since it is only useful to NY practitioners. The thing also is capable of converting its reports, forms, etc. into MS Word (which I have as a Mac application), Excel, etc. I tried using Parallels once and hated it -- slowed everything down to a crawl (but, then, I only had 8 GB of RAM at the time). I spent more time messing around with it than it was worth. Never heard of Virtual Box, so I can look into that. Thanks. If any of the above changes your perspective, by all means let me know. (PS: on the issue of whether my Apple external drive would be compatible with a PC, any idea on that?) Thanks, again. C

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you hated Parallels, take a close look at VirtualBox then because it's not as sophisticated (bells and whistles) as other virtual software. But it works. I have read complaints from several users about the Apple external optical drive not working with hardware other than Apple computers without a built in drive.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try it. I just downloaded the VirtualBox app, but won't install it until I read-up on the Manual. I may just set up mu MacBook Pro on the desk and run it there, making the iMac OS completely separate from the MacBook OS and display. May take me a wek to test all this out, but I'll be happy to post an update to let you and others interested know how it goes. I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks, again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.