apple doesnt replace but refurbishes and tell u its a new piece

Reaction score
I went in for a replacement for my ipad. had problem with touch, the screen went wobbly at times and applications would open up on their own. They charged me INR 22.5K and told me that I will get a new piece. When they handed over the piece it had the exact same problem with the screen. I would not believe that a new piece coincidentally has the same problem as with my earlier ipad. then they even claim that apple doesn't repair products but issues new ones. Bloody cheats!! replacement is a farce they just try n sell you your own device and charge you for new!!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Did you bother to check any of the identifying information such as serial numbers etc. to see whether this was indeed the same device? Where was this done Apple Store, Authorized reseller?

OP
S
Reaction score
no I didn't bother to check cause there was no point .. I turned on the screen and it was the same wobbly fault and apps opening on its own with which I had submitted. I doubt if any new iPad will have that fault. After when I showed it to the exec. they didn't even let me see it again. this was at the official Apple service center - Maple India.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For your info.... Apple generally does not issue a new iPad or iPhone unless it's under the two week return period. They usually replace a defective iPad or iPhone that's still under warranty with an Apple refurbished unit. I can't speak for India but here in the US and Canada, Apple refurbished units are like new.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for adding that chscag that was part of the reason I asked whether the OP had checked to see if it was the same unit. That's also why I wondered where this was done. New, refurbished, or repaired the unit shouldn't have the same problem.

I ask because Apple stores generally haven't been accused of misrepresenting refurbished units as new. There could be all kinds of legal ramifications. If it were common practice we certainly would have heard of it by now.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi..i am definitely told that its a new piece and not refurbished even now when I checked with them.
Secondly, whether the service center is malpracticing or apple that I can not be sure about.
Its not a free replacement they still charged INR 23,500 I think a new one would cost around INR 35K

OP
S
Reaction score
To close the discussion I finally got the replacement piece new serial no. Looks new also

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
To close the discussion I finally got the replacement piece new serial no. Looks new also

Just to clarify, what was the original iPad model and how long did you own the device? Also, was it under any type of warranty (whether the usual or AppleCare)? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
As already mentioned, an out of warranty exchange iPad (was OOW as the OP was charged) is always an exchange unit. Additionally, these are not just repaired, but remanufactured to new standards. They are wrapped in a cellophane cover, but do not come in a shrink wrapped box or with accessories. They may or may not have the latest iOS installed. If an Apple employee told you the exchange iPad was new this was incorrect, and would have been most unlikely. Could the OP have been mistaken and misinterpreted what they were told? The OP mentioned the exchanged was undertaken by an official Apple service centre. This could have been an Apple Authorised Service Provider or and Apple Store, they are quite different, which one was it? I have heard of a lower standard in AASP's in some countries, the last that came to mind was in South America. Good to hear you have a good exchange unit now.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.