• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple ditching the "G" Trademark?

I

iDVFH.

I was reading somewhere that it's rumored that Apple is ditching the "G"..well not exactly but there going from G5 to GX (G10)..why would they do that? though G6 is purely Pontiac...ahh you never know :miner:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I don't know maybe so the name of their proccessor, is simmular to the name of the operating system to remind every body that they make the processor and the operating system. probually for marketing purposes.

OP
I

iDVFH.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. They were saying the re-designed PowerMacs were gonna go to 3.0-3.6 GHz.. but not till late 2006

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
say what you mean, and mean what you say

OP
I

iDVFH.

what he meant was there naming it the GX to the match the OS X..good now lets move on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I was wondering what they were going to do since the Pontiac had the G6 and I am sure they have it patented, copyrighted, whatever, so they are practically forced to go to a different naming scheme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yea, plus I think g6 is a little too predictable. for apple who "thinks different", following a traditional naming scheme for so many years is un apple. GX would sound odd to me, and where could they go from there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
G4's are made by Motorola. G5's by IBM

OP
T

tajjster

GXI
GXII ?

Then, in 3000 years, when Apple is ruling the world, we could have (based on one processor release per year) .. the GMMMX processor!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
g5 by ibm
g4 by freescale
g3 by ibm and freescale

OP
S

StarDrifter

I didn't know that. Always thought it was motorola.

What's IBM doing making cpu's for apple ..... aren't they in the Windows PC business?

If they make the chips .... couldn't they release their own range of desktop/laptop machines as a competitor to apple?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
StarDrifter said:
I didn't know that. Always thought it was motorola.

What's IBM doing making cpu's for apple ..... aren't they in the Windows PC business?

They are in the "everything" business, that's why they are still by far the worlds largest computer company.

They sold off the PC manufacturing and retailing part of the business but they still make many of the components (being one of the worlds largest manufacturer of HD components for example) and still make a huge range of business machines.

The funniest thing in my book is that the next X-box iteration will go head-to-head with the PS3 and they will both basically be IBM powered! (the PS3 will be Cell powered and the new X-box is supposed to have a PPC derivative driving it)

If you ever get the chance to play around with some of the new business machines coming from IBM you'll realize that PC's in comparison are like tinker-toys, I have big black box at work which reminds me of the black slab from 2001 SO, both in looks and in ability. ;)

Amen-Moses

OP
S

StarDrifter

Amen-Moses said:
They are in the "everything" business, that's why they are still by far the worlds largest computer company.

They sold off the PC manufacturing and retailing part of the business but they still make many of the components (being one of the worlds largest manufacturer of HD components for example) and still make a huge range of business machines.

The funniest thing in my book is that the next X-box iteration will go head-to-head with the PS3 and they will both basically be IBM powered! (the PS3 will be Cell powered and the new X-box is supposed to have a PPC derivative driving it)

So no matter who wins, IBM is still with the winner :)

Amen-Moses said:
If you ever get the chance to play around with some of the new business machines coming from IBM you'll realize that PC's in comparison are like tinker-toys, I have big black box at work which reminds me of the black slab from 2001 SO, both in looks and in ability. ;)

Amen-Moses

How do they look like? ..... What OS do they run on?

Reaction score
StarDrifter said:
If they make the chips .... couldn't they release their own range of desktop/laptop machines as a competitor to apple?

You can buy a PowerPC board and processor but it won't run OS X. I think it requires some proprietary rom chip on the motherboard that only Apple sells.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
StarDrifter said:
How do they look like? ..... What OS do they run on?

Big and black, they run AIX or Linux and are multiple PowerPC architecture, I think you can stick up to 64 cores in each box. They have frightening amounts of hugely fast hard drives (we're talking tens of terrabytes per box).

All the cables for then come up through the floor so all you see is a large black wardrobe shaped box.

We use them to store debugging information gathered from a large (500 workstation + 20 odd servers) Air Traffic Management system, the debugging data is sent on a dedicated multiple redundancy optical LAN and we capture all important data sent internal to the system and in addition captures all data coming into the system from outside sources (other ATM systems, Radar centres, the Military etc) plus all user actions (i.e every button pushed by the controllers).

If I was allowed to use it for folding proteins I reckon I'd be in the top ten teams within a week. ;)

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.