Apple Cinema Display A1082 scratched screen protection

Reaction score
Hello

I have a working A1082 Apple Cinema Display, it has a scratch of about 10 cm (4 inches) on the front.

Being this scratch not on the LCD glass, but on the plastic panel, that seats in front of the LCD panel, I am wondering if I could substitute it with a plastic I could buy (suggestions?) or polish it (how, with what) or totally remove it.

What do you guys recommend? Does it worth it to do it as disassembly is not that easy?

Thanks for your inputs

Alex

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Your cinema display is a 23" 2004-2006 model which Apple considers obsolete. No parts from Apple are available nor will they work on it.

Your best bet would be to find another display like yours maybe on eBay and one that is not working. If you can purchase it very cheap, you can probably swap the front panel.

Other than that, I don't really have a suggestion.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hello thanks for your reply.

Couldn't the plastic panel be substituted with a non original part? Or simply removed exposing the lcd glass? Or polished?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Polishing plastic usually never works. But you could try removing the panel or substituting another part if you can find something that will fit. Keep in mind that cinema display is at a minimum 14 years old and uses an Apple proprietary power supply. If you price out that supply and cable, you'll find out that it will cost more than the display is worth. In other words, don't spend too much money or time on it.

OP
A
Reaction score
:) I had not the original power supply... I used a laptop 24v power supply by cutting the apple power connector and soldering a female jack on the cable. The cable, even if the connector has lots of pins, has just 2 wires, black and red. Works perfectly :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Hello

I did the disassembly of the monitor

The LCD screen has a plastic anti glare that unfortunately il is glued on the lcd glass.

I attempted the removal with a blade from a cutter.

It is a long long process, DO NOT use an heat gun as it will not help much with the glue and it can ruin the LCDs behind overheating it

At the end I could remove all the plastic. I suggest, based on this experience, to do it very very very slowly and be VERY careful on not stressing the LCD by pulling too strongly the plastic (like I probably did)

At the end of the removal of the plastic, you have to remove the remains of the glue covering the glass.

I used the label remover spray to soften the glue, a plastic tool (a casserole cleaner) to remove the glue (long work) and solvent for the final cleaning.

The physical result is perfect, unfortunately the monitor did not work after reassembly, showing white screen with little shadows of what should be displayed. As said, I probably used too much force to remove the plastic, causing the lcd to be bad.

I will reopen it one of these days to see if any connector went out of place

Net net, if you want to take this challenge on a monitor with a big scratch, that would be scrap anyway, you need to be prepared to be very careful and patient.

Here some photos

Dropbox - MAC - Simplify your life

Kind regards

Alessio

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.