• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Banning Hackers From the App Store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
ROFL, great news for Apple.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting XJ. Thanks for the URL!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Not sure I see the funniness in it to be honest. The only real reason to get an iPhone is for its capabilities when it's Jailbroken and not really otherwise as it is crippled so poorly vs other standard dumb and smart phones.

If we speak about GUI's then okay, the iPhone has it nailed and no other phone comes close. But in terms of useful applications ? Sorry but, there's no app available to the iPhone which doesn't have a competing, similar or the same app on either the BB or Android phones.

And let's not forget about how the iPhone conveniently leaves out legal tethering as well as other productive features such as things like Gtalk etc.. And no, it's not an ATT thing. BB phones use these apps without discrimination.

And the fact that there are thousands of FART applications and other redundant crap, just so that Apple can boast about the number of apps they possess, is repugnant. I'll be spending my money elsewhere in that segment of the market next time around. Just glad I bought my current 3G from a friend.

This smug attitude which some people possess in defending anything Apple does will only serve to give them more leverage and control every aspect of what YOU want to do with your merchandise. And yeah, yeah.. I know. It's a subsidy most of the time. But your contract assures that your subsidy pays for the equipment over time. And not everybody subsidizes their equipment. Some purchase it outright for full price, which in essence makes it theirs. And yeah.. I know.. we don't own the software. But that's another issue with some fine lines.

Just saying, I personally don't agree with Apple's quasi-Imperialistic moves.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Fair points I think but, from my point of view, I see the phone as being Apples, they made it, they gave huge sums of money to R&D and they have IP that they don't want people messing with. I think it's their right.

That said I think you make an excellent point on the fact that when you pay for it out-right you're not really renting it off anyone - and the physical device is yours.

BUT - what is in the device is still theirs and what they choose to do to protect it is for them to decide. I personally like this move and think it's a good idea.

One thing that bothers me is that people hate Apple for locking them in (or out) but surely you must also hate all non-open-source software as they all do their best to stop you from using it for nothing or making changes to their product (again I think this is fair).

Further to this - we're not just talking about software here - how many pieces of commercial (main-stream) hardware encourage you to get in there and do what you want to them (again the important point is not so much the device but the software that's running on it)?

Ok so 99% of companies out there won't get caught up in a cat and mouse fight to try and stop you... but they still don't want you to do it. Apple choose to do things a little differently - that's their right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Not sure I see the funniness in it to be honest. The only real reason to get an iPhone is for its capabilities when it's Jailbroken and not really otherwise as it is crippled so poorly vs other standard dumb and smart phones.
Doug

I agree. I cannot believe how "crippling" the iphone is when it's not jailbroken. It's a completely different phone! What will all the people do who have old iphones and are out of a contract? I wouldn't keep an old iphone if I knew I had to keep it locked! That's for sure! I don't get the reason to get locked out of itunes though? You don't take anything out of it, you don't need itunes for music, and if they are worried about programs, locking them out won't help.

I think there is more to this story than what is simply stated in that article, because it doesn't really make sense…it won't stop anyone if they are truly worried about hackers.

Maybe they are just getting ready for a better version of the iphone's OS…which might be good in that case!

C

chas_m

Apple has not, to my knowledge, attempted to ban anyone who has jailbroken or unlocked their iPhone from the store.

All they have done, at least as I read the article, is bar two known hackers from the store.

This seems to me to be well within their rights, as these devs have PRETTY CLEARLY violated the terms of their software license.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
From what I have read, Apple (may have, not confirmed) locked out the hackers' App Store accounts. They didn't remotely disable anyone's phone or delete anyone's hack. They didn't have AT&T close anyone's cellular phone account either. I'm pretty sure that you can deny a free service to someone if they are not using the service consistent with it's intent or purpose. Personally, I've always reserved the right to deny anyone service for any reason - compulsory service or compelled charity is not something I support. Apple is just saying "Want an hacked iPhone? Go ahead, but don't come here for your applications. You made your choice and can go elsewhere for your needs." I mean, these folks have knowingly chosen to hack their phones, gone public with it, and distributed a method to do the same for others. You can't have it both ways all the time. Some people will love you for it, others will not, it's an inevitable part of the choices we all make everyday. Just so happens in this case that Apple doesn't love you for it, and Apple owns the App Store. This means they can do as they please with it. Don't like the company, don't buy their products, It's not a Democracy it's a business. Your vote does not count. That's life, get a helmet. [/end rant]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Jailbreakers are smart enough to know what they're doing. They know that they're going out on their own, cutting their ties to Apple doing their own thing.

And yet a small number of them are immature enough to whine when Apple cuts them off. You can't have it both ways. Either go your own way, or go Apple's way.

If you're going to declare your independence from the Evil Empire, don't be surprised when the evil emperor stops you at the border when you try to come back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Just so happens in this case that Apple doesn't love you for it, and Apple owns the App Store. This means they can do as they please with it. Don't like the company, don't buy their products, It's not a Democracy it's a business. Your vote does not count. That's life, get a helmet.

AGREE X's 1,000,000! :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
But what if these two guys get hacked off enough to start the first round of Mac viruses? Ahhhhhhh............. runs out of room screaming.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But what if these two guys get hacked off enough to start the first round of Mac viruses? Ahhhhhhh............. runs out of room screaming.

LOL... the successful criminals are the ones that no one has ever heard of... since we know them, they lose before they start. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3", Aluminum, 2.0 GHz Intel core duo, 2GB of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 160GB 5400-rpm hard drive
The good thing about jailbreaking is that you can simply un-jailbreak and go back to the way apple intended the iphone to be. I happen to have jailbroken my iphone several times and restore it just before the new OS is ready to download. As for the app store apple can do what they want would you want someone double dipping a chip in your salsa bowl? not I :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4GHz, 160GB, 2GB,SD / Iphone 3Gs 16GB
I think that people should be able to do what they want to do to their devices, especially if they paid for it straight out. That's like saying you can buy that car but you can't make ANY changes to it. That's ridiculous! It's so many smart phones out there that do what Apple will not let the iphone do and that's why people jailbreak their phones. File sharing via bluetooth, most phones can do it...even my moms old Nokia phone, but the first iphone, the iphone 3g and not even the iphone 3gs can do it. I like Apple and the iphone, it IS one of the best phones out there. But I think Apple uses a marketing and/or selling strategy to keep people interested in their products. I think Apple refuses to put or add all these features to their products when they first come out. If they do then, they have nothing to really work with or anything to use to keep the consumer wanting more. But to keep the consumer wanting more, Apple releases all these updates that add maybe one or two features in it, then the next firmware update will add another feature and so forth. Apple keeps stringing us along with all these updates and we bite. We drool for them. And for what, we're drooling over features that's been around for years, that's in other smartphones and regular phones...but for some strange reason like I said earlier APPLE refuses to implement such features at launch. That's why people jailbreak their devices...to immediately have access to these features.

Just wait and see what all features the iPad is missing that the other tablets already have. And 3 or 4 months later Apple releases an update to add something that they should have added at launch!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
There is a poll in the left column at MacDailyNews .....
But i voted Yes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well Apple have done this added new features in dribs and drabs for years. And the proof it works is there. Apple have not gone out of business. Lots of people buy their products. And they are getting more and more profit each year.

OP
XJ-linux
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just thought the original article was funny... basically Apple indirectly saying "Hack away, just don't come to us for your applications." Nuff said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I have to disagree with this action taken by Apple. They need to take some of their own advice and stop being lazy. If they don't want people to hack, then they need to fix their software to remove the vulnerability instead of trying to ban the hackers. If what these hackers are doing is so illegal, then why doesn't Apple go after them through legal channels? And if it's not truly illegal, then they need to just leave them alone.

In the end, it's a complete non-event, and if anything it's only going to hurt Apple more. These guys are smart enough to hack the phone's software then they are obviously smart enough to get any software they want, including Apple's own apps, and for free, without an account. I mean, I don't know squat about coding and hacking and I could break my phone and get any App Store app on my iPhone for free within a hour! Does Apple really think they accomplished anything with this move?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.