Apple Announces Second-Generation iPhone SE Starting at $399

Reaction score
The new, low-cost ($399) iPhone SE was announced today. Do we have a dedicated thread for this? I want to start paying attention from the beginning on this one. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
The new, low-cost ($399) iPhone SE was announced today. Do we have a dedicated thread for this? I want to start paying attention from the beginning on this one. :)

You just started it.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
M
Reaction score
Cool. I never get to start anything around here. :rofl

Reaction score
Apple today announced a new iPhone designed to provide high performance at a low price point. The second-generation iPhone SE starts at $399 and will be available for pre-order beginning this Friday, April 17.Available in black, white and PRODUCT(RED), the phone is outfitted with an A13 Bionic chip and a 4.7-inch Retina HD display with True Tone. The front of all of the phones is all black, with a rear glass finish and a color-matched aluminum band.

Click here to view the article...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved here from RSS news for those of you who do not subscribe.

Looks like Apple has finally come out with a successor to the iPhone SE. This one, however, is the same size as the iPhone 8 which means it's larger than the original SE.

Edit: We'll keep this combined all in one thread.

Looks like "Marrk" also posted the same thing.

Reaction score
The new iPhone SE shows Apple's other phones were overpriced all along

7ea487f0-7f4e-11ea-abd2-afab6eb1a2d6
When Google unveiled the Pixel 3a last year, it left a lot of Pixel 3 owners asking themselves if their phone was really worth $800. After all, here was a device that included most of the Pixel 3's best features for $400. Following Apple’s announceme...

Click here to view the article...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Cool. I never get to start anything around here. :rofl

Fight, fight, Important notice... First notice Release of Apple Announces Second-Generation iPhone SE Starting at $399
now available at:

Read it all now.

Member Marrk breaks his posting record... :Smirk:

Keep in touch for any following update details...

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
^^Go ahead. Laugh at a guy just because he doesn't know anything about tech, doesn't use a pocket protector, doesn't carry a picture of Bill Gates in his wallet, doesn't consider watching Baywatch reruns as "having a social life," doesn't wear sandals and socks . . . . :wink

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^Go ahead. Laugh at a guy just because he doesn't know anything about tech, doesn't use a pocket protector, doesn't carry a picture of Bill Gates in his wallet, doesn't consider watching Baywatch reruns as "having a social life," doesn't wear sandals and socks . . . . :wink

Hey Marrk, my post had no intention of "Laughing at you" but was actually meant, in my sometimes twisted sense of humour, to give you credit for your early 2020 iPhone SE post and being the first here at mac-forums.

- Patrick
======

OP
M
Reaction score
@Patrick: I assumed that you were kidding around. My response was supposed to be all in fun. If you, or anyone else, took offense, I sincerely apologize. Really very sorry.

I'm interested the new SE because I am in desperate need of a new phone. Do you think it is a risk to buy a new Apple product before it has had time to be "tested on the field" by retail consumers? I don't know anymore. Two years ago, I bought a $3,000 MacBook Pro only to discover that they put a keyboard in it from the .99 Store, so now I have to constantly worry about flecks of dust getting under the keys and disabling them. The experience has made me a little gun-shy about Apple.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My personal feeling is that I'm not going to buy anything from Apple until the Apple stores reopen. It's a royal pain to order something from Apple on line and then have to return it the same way. When the stores are open again, you can order on line and pick it up at your local Apple store and return it there if it does not meet your expectations.

Of course I understand that not everyone has an Apple store local to them and using on line ordering and returning is the only way for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Once again UK users get ripped off with a starting price of £419. Nice phone though. I might be tempted to move on from my 5S to get Apple Pay, improved battery life and better camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Once again UK users get ripped off with a starting price of £419. Nice phone though. I might be tempted to move on from my 5S to get Apple Pay, improved battery life and better camera.

Apple Pay is so useful. I always carry my phone but not necessarily money (especially when taking dog out) so I have the means to pay, avoiding embarassment when I've had a café breakfast and discover no purse in bag! In social distancing times it avoids the need for handling cash. Me and dog are desperate for a meal out - I'm fed up with home cooking and eating alone. pooch is missing his treats.

Options for much bigger memory too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Me and dog are desperate for a meal out - I'm fed up with home cooking and eating alone. pooch is missing his treats.

It would take me quite a while to get tired of [good] baggers and mash, but I'll definitely, gladly skip the mushy peas thank you.

We are very fortunate in that we have three local places that make their own excellent sausages.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

That's quite a markup. £419 = $523.75 using today's exchange rate. The basic SE2 starting price is $399.00 (less tax).

Here in Texas, I can buy a SE2 including tax and the $79 Apple Care Plus fee for $510.91.

And yes, it is a nice phone but I can't really see much difference between it and my current 8. So, I think I will stick with the 8 for another year and instead buy my wife an iPhone 11 to replace her older 7+.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's quite a markup. £419 = $523.75 using today's exchange rate. The basic SE2 starting price is $399.00 (less tax).

How about Apple Canada???

iPhone SE
Available 4.24.
Lots to love.
Less to spend.
Starting at $599.00 cdn

Plus applicle taxes of course!!!

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You're lucky, for me it's a perfect replacement for my old iPhone 7. In many ways it is simply an upgraded equivalent. New processor, dual sim, better camera options and all of the things I like about the 7 minus the things I don't like about the X series like face recognition and no Home button. But the price in Australia for the 64Gb, AU$749.00

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
You're lucky, for me it's a perfect replacement for my old iPhone 7. In many ways it is simply an upgraded equivalent. New processor, dual sim, better camera options and all of the things I like about the 7 minus the things I don't like about the X series like face recognition and no Home button. But the price in Australia for the 64Gb, AU$749.00

I’m curious Rod, what don’t you like about face recognition and no Home button? I have Face ID enabled, just like Touch ID, except for unlocking the phone, that still requires the passcode. The no Home button, doesn’t take too long to get used to, if you use it enough.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the newer phones, Face ID is optional. You don't have to use it if you don't want to.

Also... to go back to home:

How to Navigate an iPhone without a Home Button

• On your unlocked Lock screen or in any app, locate the bar at the bottom of your screen.
  • This bar is called the Home bar.
  • Place your finger on the Home bar and swipe up past the middle of the screen.
  • That's it! You've returned to Home screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're lucky, for me it's a perfect replacement for my old iPhone 7.

Yes I am Lucky, as there's no way in **** I would ever spend even a fraction of that amount of money on a mobile phone and I have no reason to do so.

I still have and occasionally use an old Samsung flip-phone that suits me just fine for those times I might need to make a mobile call, and it's prepaid "Pay as I use" Plan costs me at most, about $50.00/year. And it stays charged for weeks at a time, nice and handy.

Another retired friend of mine uses a similar "Dumb phone" that he usually keeps in the glove box of his car. We figure we are "Smart" Mobile phone users!!! :Smirk:

So I guess we are lucky that we are able to do so and it suits us well.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.