App Store Failure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (Retain 15-inch Mid 2015), 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M3
I just migrated files from one Macbook Pro Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 11.53.10 AM.png to the very same model. I've updated to Mojave 10.14.4. When I go to download apps, my app store icon is "x"ed out, and I get this message - Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 11.46.27 AM.png

I have update all software. I'm unable to delete the "app store", and re-download. Not sure what to do.

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Maybe you could explain the steps you followed to "migrate files from one MacBook Pro to the very same model"? Then provide proof both MBP are the exact same model?

Usually, when someone "migrates", either Migration Assistant is used, or (preferably) it is done when setting up the macOS the very first time.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro (Retain 15-inch Mid 2015), 2.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M3
I used the Migration Assistant. It appears that everything made the journey from one computer to the other. There really haven't been any hiccups until the App Store. Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 12.12.14 PM.png

To do the migration correctly, I had to make sure both computers were using the same OS. Once that was finished, then they have to be on the same network for the migration to work. You're then given a code that has to match on both computers. All in all the migration took about 3.5 hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I used the Migration Assistant. It appears that everything made the journey from one computer to the other. There really haven't been any hiccups until the App Store.

Well, it looks like Migration Assistant screwed up which isn't exactly the first time it's done something like that!!!

What Mac OS X versions are on each MacBook Pro, and what versions of Migration Assistant are on each?

Maybe if you could get hold of or download a copy of the MacOS 10.14.4 COMBO Update and try running it and it should update all native apps and utilities to the correct version.
Download macOS Mojave 10.14.4 Combo Update

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
You are going to have to reinstall the macOS one way or another. The updater may do it for you but I doubt it. My suggestion would be to boot the device into the Recovery Partition and use the Reinstal OS option. It's possible that SIP (System Integrity Protection) is causing a problem or that Migration Assistant is no longer suitable for transferring the OS to a different device.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, it looks like Migration Assistant screwed up which isn't exactly the first time it's done something like that!!!

I've been using the Migration Assistant for over 10 years and have had good results each time I used it. When the Migration Assistant seems like it isn't working, that's the time you need to evaluate exactly what you're doing and how you have set it up.

We've been over this numerous times and it really doesn't help to place the blame on the MA before trying to figure out what happened. Looking over what the OP reported about using it, I'm finding it difficult to understand exactly what it was that he did.

One thing we know for sure... it that the MA will never overwrite a newer system locked file with an older one. I've migrated data from older Macs to newer ones numerous times and have never run into what the OP is reporting.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
One way or another the App Store app is refusing to function and as its an integral part of the macOS and cannot be deleted and reinstalled independently a reinstall of the OS seems like the only way.
I can't help thinking this may have something to do with the OS itself and changes that have been made to the filing system since HFS+ but regardless of the cause if a new copy of the app is required reinstalling the OS is the only way I can think of to get a fresh copy.
My concern would be that the process using the Restore Partition may fail for the same reason and as the OP can't download a new installer from the App Store they may need to do this on the other device and create a USB drive bootable installer.
I suppose its why I keep banging on about cloning. I haven't used MA assistant since I started using C.C.C.

Last edited:
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

What Mac OS X versions are on each MacBook Pro, and what versions of Migration Assistant are on each?

Maybe if you could get hold of or download a copy of the MacOS 10.14.4 COMBO Update and try running it and it should update all native apps and utilities to the correct version.
Download macOS Mojave 10.14.4 Combo Update

- Patrick
======

Running Mojave 10.14.4 on both laptops. Cracked my screen on first MBP, thus the migration to another laptop (same model). It looks like everything made the leap except the app store.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, Rod. So are you saying rebooting and adding all the apps back on manually?

- - - Updated - - -

Before I did the MA, I updated both computers to Mojave 10.14.4. MA actually required that both OSs be the same. Everything migrated fine except the app store. Wasn't a lot of wiggle room with MA. It's a couple clicks, then you're off and running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looking over what the OP reported about using it, I'm finding it difficult to understand exactly what it was that he did.
... ... ...
I've migrated data from older Macs to newer ones numerous times and have never run into what the OP is reporting.

I will add that I must agree with what you said with your comments above Charlie.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi jbost1973, no although that is an option. Only if you wanted to do a Clean Install. As much as it's time consuming and assuming the App Store is working on the cracked screen device I would download the free 30 day trial of Carbon Copy Cloner.
Create a bootable clone of your original device onto an external HD (USB or faster).
Boot the new device from the clone (choose it in Startup Disk preferences or hold Option on startup)
Use Disk Utility to erase the target drive (the new one)
Then Use CCC to clone itself onto the new Device.
This will create an exact copy of your old device on the new Macintosh HD.
CCC will also offer to create and instal a copy of the recovery partition which you will need to approve.
I know this sounds a bit complex but beleive me it's really quite simple and mostly just time consuming.
You don't even need to buy CCC but I think after you see the benefits you will be tempted.

Let me say I'm not affiliated with Bombich Software in any way you could just as easily use Super Duper a very similar cloning app. CCC is simply the one I choose to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would download the free 30 day trial of Carbon Copy Cloner.
Create a bootable clone of your original device onto an external HD (USB or faster).

+1... Ditto!!

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.