App Store Account "Purchased" Area?

Reaction score
As explained in an earlier msg here, I bought a secondhand Mac a while ago and I am now trying to use
it.
I now find on the Account section on App Store various program listed as 'Purchased', and yet they had no price
against them when I downloaded them, so why does the Account show them as 'Purchased'?
Secondly, on clicking on a program listed, it starts to download and there doesn't appear to be any way to stop
the download. Surely this cannot be right?

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I haven't seen your previous post(s); but one thought that requires consideration is: are you certain that when you bought the Mac, that it had been removed from the Apple ID of the previous owner, the Hard Drive wiped and a fresh copy of the Operating System (OS) installed?

This is crucial because if the Mac is still linked to the Apple ID of the previous owner, there could be major complications. The fact that the App Store says that various apps have been "Purchased" when you clearly haven't purchased them yourself suggests that this Mac might still be be linked to the previous owner.

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You've been given you some good advice so far. We need to ensure that the Mac isn't still linked to the previous owner's Apple Id.

One thing I need to mention about the "purchased" items, though. You mentioned that some items show as "purchased" but don't have a price attached. If you download a program that is "free," it will not show a price attached but shows up as "purchased." This is true for truly free programs and for programs that have in-app purchases.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's the link to member "davidkent" original post:

@david:

Please follow the advice given above regarding your Apple ID and whether or not the previous owner has cleared his Apple ID from the Mac you purchased from him.

OP
D
Reaction score
(1)Sorry about confusion. I should have said that listed under "Purchased" programs in my "Account" there were some programs I had:
(a)downloaded and were definitely shown as free; *and*
(b)downloaded (in error) and not purchased: in this case it was Word. After downloading it, I saw it was a trial/limited version, and I did nothing further. I certainly did not opt to buy a full version, but my "account" shows this (and others I downloaded (that were free)) as being "Purchased".
I am therefore grateful to Slydude above for pointing out that free programs are listed as "Purchased". At least this resolves the query!
However, referring to programs which are free and those which are trial versions and the full version is not purchased, as "Purchased" is misleading (and worrying!)

(2)On seeing that Word, which I knew I had not bought was listed under "Purchased", I clicked on it to see if I could ascertain any information about the supposed purchase, but it started to download again! I looked for a way to stop this, but there didn't seem to be anything available to do this. With Windows, a download can be monitored, stalled and/or cancelled, but with the programs listed on the Mac under "Account" and "Purchase", I cannot see any way to cancel a download wrongly initiated?

Thanks

David

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The Purchased section is for any app that you've downloaded, paid or otherwise. Once "purchased", the apps can be re-downloaded in the future without paying again (if it is a paid app).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.