app/ext. for continuous play of audio content in a Finder folder?

AyaPeru

Reaction score
In 30 years of working with Mac I have never come across an audio player to my total liking. This thing about importing into iTunes/Music or organising into neat folders for the benefit of the app, or audio files have to be meta tagged for the app to sort them etc,,,

I just want to choose to play a file from a Finder folder, spacebar PLAY, change back into a work program, and if I don't go back to Finder to stop the music, it will just play the next in line or random, skipping non-audio files, no fuss.

Does an app or extension like that exist?

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2022-11-30 kl. 05.14.54.png
    Skærmbillede 2022-11-30 kl. 05.14.54.png
    394 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I just want to choose to play a file from a Finder folder, spacebar PLAY,

Assuming I think I know what you are wanting to do, I thought one could do such a thing using QuickTime or was it Quick Time Pro and maybe one of its Associated applications such as QuickTime Player.

Have a read through of this Google list of hits and see if any of them come close to what you were wanting:

But maybe Apple has pulled all their support with later macOS versions and enforcing their methods using iTunes etc.

- Patrick
=======

OP
A

AyaPeru

Reaction score
Hi Patrick, thanks for replying.

I actually have been around that page (in my search). Yes, Apple's Quick Look, but continous play.

There are no answers on that page. I just thought someone would have written a Quick Look plugin or something to satisfy my need... - I find it hard to imagine that I was the first ever to have that thought. 🙃

best, AP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are no answers on that page. I just thought someone would have written a Quick Look plugin or something to satisfy my need... - I find it hard to imagine that I was the first ever to have that thought. 🙃

Have you tried searching through Apple's Developer pages or the any open-source site that some seem to display their wares or software ideas in that don't seem to get into the mainstream sources.

It seems to be such a simple straightforward idea. Meanwhile, it seems that Apple seems to consider its iTunes application God's gift to all musicians or music listeners and one must not sway or distract anything from its use. ;-)

I don't know enough about Apple's applescript or automator but wonder if either of them could be made to work for your use.

- Patrick
=======

OP
A

AyaPeru

Reaction score
Have you tried searching through Apple's Developer pages or the any open-source site that some seem to display their wares or software ideas in that don't seem to get into the mainstream sources.

It seems to be such a simple straightforward idea. Meanwhile, it seems that Apple seems to consider its iTunes application God's gift to all musicians or music listeners and one must not sway or distract anything from its use. ;-)

I don't know enough about Apple's applescript or automator but wonder if either of them could be made to work for your use.

- Patrick
=======
Yeah, via iTunes or Music Apple can harvest, what people are listening to, whether or not they bought their music through Apple.

I have searched in many places and still have have my hopes up here. Thanks for being positive and interested, Patrick.

re. script/Automator: How do you say "when Quick Look STOPS PLAYING" (then go one click down)? The END of such event I cannot solve.

And then there are "IF you encounter a closed folder, OPEN the folder and play from the top/random"

But there is good fun to be had, if you eg could include a timer: "PLAY 15 seconds of each track found in folder". And "PLAY files beginning with 01 or 1" or "PLAY files in order of size" etc.

best, AP

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have searched in many places and still have have my hopes up here. Thanks for being positive and interested, Patrick.

Here are a bunch of hits from a quick Google search that might be helpful to do what you want or get you part way there:

I was quite surprised to find out how much Applescript and automator stuff there was for playing music files and various actions.

Hope you can find something useful there or modify the Google search accordingly for your particular use.

A Mac programmer told me several years ago, if you can think it, you can probably do it with software.

If true that's very promising, it's just a matter of how I guess...
which takes us straight back to your original question...

Good luck.

- Patrick
=======

OP
A

AyaPeru

Reaction score
Here are a bunch of hits from a quick Google search that might be helpful to do what you want or get you part way there:

I was quite surprised to find out how much Applescript and automator stuff there was for playing music files and various actions.

Hope you can find something useful there or modify the Google search accordingly for your particular use.

A Mac programmer told me several years ago, if you can think it, you can probably do it with software.

If true that's very promising, it's just a matter of how I guess...
which takes us straight back to your original question...

Good luck.

- Patrick
=======
Well, naturally! Coming at it the wrong way (Quick Look - which is more or less a set function). I totally forgot about Folder actions! Must have been 10 years since I last did one! :-D

thanks, Patrick!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I totally forgot about Folder actions! Must have been 10 years since I last did one! :-D

It seems that there are still a lots of useful folder actions type stuff still usable from the old Mac OS feature, and very easy to forget about if not often used.

By the way, a warm welcome to Mac-forums and good luck with your project.
Don't forget to let us know how it went...

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.