Anyone know a good program for archiving email?

Reaction score
I am trying to save email from a google app for educators gmail account and I need a free downloadable program that will allow me to archive all my old email in that account. Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
May have done better in Apps & Games.

However it would help tremendously if you posted your operating system for anyone to help. Thingfs have changed with the release of Mavericks OS X.9, and presumably Yosemite OS X.10. Have a read of this and see if it helps:-

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/IvtEJrG2W7A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One of the problems of using four operating system old software is finding outdated versions of software. EmailArchiver may be the go, and they do say you can get versions back to OS X.6, but I don't see that on the web site, just S X.10-OS X.8 version. You may have to ask them and good luck with it:-

Email Archiver

OP
U
Reaction score
One of the problems of using four operating system old software is finding outdated versions of software. EmailArchiver may be the go, and they do say you can get versions back to OS X.6, but I don't see that on the web site, just S X.10-OS X.8 version. You may have to ask them and good luck with it:-

Email Archiver

Unfortunately that program's not free. I find it hard to believe there ins't a free one out there that everyone uses.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can archive your email for free by using the export feature built into mail. Go to "Mailbox" and select "Export Mailbox". That will allow you to save it elsewhere or to an archive folder of your choice. You can also export individual mail messages as PDF but that might be a tedious job if you have many messages to do.

The program Harry recommended is worth the $24.99 if you have large amounts of email to archive and plan on using it again for other archiving jobs.

OP
U
Reaction score
You can archive your email for free by using the export feature built into mail. Go to "Mailbox" and select "Export Mailbox". That will allow you to save it elsewhere or to an archive folder of your choice. You can also export individual mail messages as PDF but that might be a tedious job if you have many messages to do.

The program Harry recommended is worth the $24.99 if you have large amounts of email to archive and plan on using it again for other archiving jobs.

What do you mean "export feature built into mail"? Are you talking about Google gmail app for educators?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you mean "export feature built into mail"? Are you talking about Google gmail app for educators?

No, the Mail app you have on your Mac. Assuming you're downloading the mail to your Mac using the gmail app. If you're accessing the mail differently, then you need to look elsewhere.

Reaction score
ok setup your google gmail through the mail app in mac os x 10.6.8 you will be able to save and archive for free it works better then the google app garbage

OP
U
Reaction score
Go with mailstore which is the mail archiving solution.

Two questions:

If I use their trial version will I still be able to keep the mail I archived?
Will I need to have technical information from my gmail admin to plug in to receive mails from that account?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.