• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone have guns?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
Last time I was in Vegas I went to the Gun Store and shot a .44 Magnum Revolver ... I'd have one of those haha

I like shooting guns but you cant have one in the UK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12GB of RAM, 27", dual core
Last time I was in Vegas I went to the Gun Store and shot a .44 Magnum Revolver ... I'd have one of those haha

I like shooting guns but you cant have one in the UK

that sucks. why not

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Because you can barely own a kitchen knife over there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Because you can barely own a kitchen knife over there.

two police officers were stabbed in my area near Uni two months ago. the guy had skipped bail, and was on the bus. they were just routinely checking bus tickets, and the guy couldn't produce a ticket, so they asked for I.D.

so he stabbed the first in the neck and the second somewhere else, and ran off.

imagine if he had an M4 or an AUG.

hunters, security guards and armed police have guns.

Im glad there are far less guns over here: in my eyes they are not a toy or hobby; merely a tool to protect people in certain situations.

however i am not "anti - gun". If those police on the bus had weapons, that guy wouldn't have made it off the bus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Old cop saying: "Rush a gun, run from a knife."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
imagine if he had an M4 or an AUG.
Or a Delivery Van through a crowd of people…

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Or a Delivery Van through a crowd of people…

good point. maybe they should just have never let him out!

just in case anyone was wondering, I believe the two officers survived.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FYI... ammunition prices increase up to 15% as of May 1st, 2011! Buy now or pay more later. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
I have a pea shooter, does that count? I don't need a CCP plus I don't C it.

Imagine if they would arm the bears in the woods...

I have my gun license but never owned a gun and probably never will, I live in Canada. Gun license is for work, dealing-handling real guns, blank guns, replicas all for showbizzzzz. Ever since Bruce Lee's son died while shooting that movie "Raven" I think it was called.

Reaction score
I'm an owner and collector, as well as recreational and sometime competitive shooter.

Also a lead instructor for our federal Firearms Safety Course, which is a mandatory prerequisite of applying for a license to possess and acquire firearms in Canada.

Handguns are heavily restricted here, and Authorizations to Carry are more difficult to obtain than unicorn teeth or three-dollar bills.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I'd rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4Gen 32Gb iMac 21'5 , 4GB memory, Core2Duo 3.06 GHz, 1 TB Hard Drive
*** Authorizations to Carry are more difficult to obtain than unicorn teeth or three-dollar bills.***

We have unicorns in Ottawa, when you first step outside your house, you have to make sure you don't come face to face with one of them... Get hit by their uni corn.
That's the same as when you step outside your house in Banff you have to watch out for elks on your lawn...
The three dollar bill is something of a rarity, I have to agree...

;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's an recent survey of AR-15 owners. Pretty interesting stuff. Great rifles IMHO.

NSSF Survey: 21 Findings About Modern Sporting Rifle Owners

dpms_ar15_classic_rfa2-c.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If I were to ever buy a gun, it would be all 4 of these...somehow:
M14
357 Magnum
1911-either the S&W 1911PC, or the Springfield Legend 1911(I love them both equally, even though the Legend is usually more than a grand more).
Remington/R700

For my dreaming side, it would have to be the M107:) I like to make bunnies disappear!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, kicking this thread back up there...

What is the oldest firearm that you currently own, that you would and actually do, trust your life to? Something you've fired more than 50 rounds through in the last year. And no, I'm not talking about Grampa's .30-30 that you whip out once a year to hunt with, or that SKS that's still in the Cosmoline. If you do have those sorts and actually rely on them as a primary defensive tool, please share as I find that sort of stuff much more interesting than the latest "tacticool" black rifle or tupperware hog-leg. Real stuff that get's real use, even if it's just a truck gun you stash under the seat.

My oldest is probably a blued 1976 Colt Cobra in .38 Special. If I'm wearing pants, I'm probably carrying it. I've left it stock as I just like the feel of the craftsmanship. Honestly, it's so smooth from years of use, it really doesn't need any work. My next oldest are from 1993, but those aren't really anything interesting or noteworthy.

Anyone else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Winchester Defender had it since 1991.

Reaction score
I have carried almost every day of my life since my 18th B-day. On that day, my dad-- who was at the time a lieutenant on the Sheriff Dept in Indianapolis, took me downtown to have me printed and get my CCW. That day I went and picked up a S&W .38 spcl.

My carry tools today in order of preference are:

Kimber CDP .45

Kahr 9mm (made by the moonies, unfortunately, but a GREAT shooting 9!)

S&W .38 Airweight

Ruger .380 LCP (last resort when I have to carry something small in my pocket)

At home I keep a Kimber CDP with tritium sights and an Eagletac Tactical Light locked in a easy-open hand safe on my night stand.

My #1 rule: ALWAYS make sure a gun is well broken in before relying on it as a carry gun. Keep it clean. Check it often--especially if you carry in your pocket or in an ankle holster. Those places allow lint to gather around triggers and firing pins in amounts that would amaze you!

#2: Be ready and willing to use it when necessary, but...

#3: Be CERTAIN that drawing your weapon is truly your last resort!

#4: Don't EVER show it when NOT necessary! All kinds of bad things can happen if someone who hates guns sees you with one.

Interestingly, I've carried almost every day for 27 years. I've never had to draw my gun on another person. I have on dogs on several occasions, but not people. I've had my hand on my gun several times but things resolved before I needed to actually pull it out. Nonetheless, I treat is every day as though the lives of my family depended on it. On any given day…it could. I pray it never does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you still carry the same J frame you received 27 years ago? If so, congrats! That's a keeper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.